News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are the odds? DG? Little help?

Started by Berkut, January 12, 2010, 01:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: frunk on January 12, 2010, 03:09:47 PM
He's not talking about 5 dice rolling 10s, he's talking about 10 dice, with 5 of them coming up 10s. 

You're right.  I thought he got more seriously diced than that.

Eddie Teach

That's a hundred times as unlikely as what did happen.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: ulmont on January 12, 2010, 03:14:13 PM
You're right.  I thought he got more seriously diced than that.

It's one in a thousand (actually 1 in 672 (0.001488035) or so if you pull more digits), which is certainly ugly but not nearly as bad as one in a hundred thousand.

I think the worst run I saw was my opponent in a game of Memoir 44', with a ~ one in 2000 chance of missing.  Still wasn't quite enough for me to get the next round of the tourney though (I won but not by a high enough score), but it did ruin his chances.

DGuller

Quote from: frunk on January 12, 2010, 02:04:35 PM
If X is the number of 10s:

((9/10)^(10-X)) * ((1/10)^X) * (10!/(X!*(10-X)!))

0: .349
1: .387
2: .194
3: .057
4: .011
5: .001
This is correct.  It's quite unlikely, but unlikely events do have to happen some of the times.

Slargos

I once played a game of risk against my sister, and attacked Russia with 12 armies against her lone one.

12 consecutive rolls of defensive 6 later, I had to call off the attack on account of all my men lying dead on the field.

Needless to say, I've avoided playing games of chance against her ever since.

DGuller

Quote from: Slargos on January 12, 2010, 06:42:59 PM
I once played a game of risk against my sister, and attacked Russia with 12 armies against her lone one.

12 consecutive rolls of defensive 6 later, I had to call off the attack on account of all my men lying dead on the field.

Now that is a highly improbable event, about a 1 in 2 billion.  Are you sure you're not exaggerating, or that the dice actually had something other than a 6 on it?

Habbaku

Slargos is a pretty and unique snowflake.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on January 12, 2010, 06:53:36 PM
Quote from: Slargos on January 12, 2010, 06:42:59 PM

Now that is a highly improbable event, about a 1 in 2 billion.  Are you sure you're not exaggerating, or that the dice actually had something other than a 6 on it?

I dunno - the thing about Risk is you roll so many freaking dice in a game that weird streaks are bound to happen.

But yeah, I can find that Slargy's sister beating him on 12 dice rolls is a lot more likely then rolling 12 consecutive sixes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

You don't have to believe me.

I didn't believe it myself, and I was there, watching in horror as it happened.

Highly improbable doesn't mean impossible.

Call me a liar if you will, though, I'm not going to invest any prestige in it. It's just a funny story.  :D

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2010, 01:36:37 PM
Err, we learned this in college it can't be that hard... altough I dont remember much of it : (

I remember learning these things in middle school.  I thought you commie countries were always ahead of us in math.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

If you have 12 armies, she can only win 11 times before you have to call off the attack.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Slargos on January 12, 2010, 07:16:48 PM
You don't have to believe me.

I didn't believe it myself, and I was there, watching in horror as it happened.

Highly improbable doesn't mean impossible.

Call me a liar if you will, though, I'm not going to invest any prestige in it. It's just a funny story.  :D
Maybe she used loaded dice?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

frunk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2010, 09:44:05 PM
If you have 12 armies, she can only win 11 times before you have to call off the attack.

Which means 9 attacks with three dice, 1 attack with two dice and 1 attack with one die.   Assuming she won and not with just 6s that's still only a 1 in ~66526 chance of happening.  If Slargos was a moron and only attacked with one die at a time it drops precipitously to 1 in ~376.

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2010, 09:19:08 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2010, 01:36:37 PM
Err, we learned this in college it can't be that hard... altough I dont remember much of it : (

I remember learning these things in middle school.  I thought you commie countries were always ahead of us in math.

Yeah now that you mention it, we did cover it in high school, but did not spend much time on it, unlike in college.

Slargos

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2010, 09:44:05 PM

:huh:

I obviously had 13 armies in the territory from which I was attacking, if I was attacking with 12.

I don't think I've ever played with a rule that says you can't attack with one army.

Edit: Nevermind. Difference of terminology. I've always regarded "attacking" armies as total -1.