Blockbuster Ruling in Kansas Abortion Murder Trial

Started by jimmy olsen, January 11, 2010, 08:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on January 12, 2010, 10:39:31 AM
Wow... can that judge be disbarred/debenched/whatever for that ruling? :blink:

No.  Only appealed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2010, 10:49:33 AM
Anywho, though I'm with you guys on this, I will say FWIW that shooting someone in the head with a .22 pistol is far less brutal & savage than a late term abortion.  I wonder how that doctor was able to go to church with a clear conscience, let alone sleep at night.

You seriously wonder how he was able to go to church?  Going to church doesn't mean anything.  Tomás de Torquemada went to church just fine.

I suspect he was able to do it because he felt justified in what he was doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on January 12, 2010, 10:45:46 AM
I dunno. If you're pro-life, shouldn't this man be lauded?

Generally being pro-life tends to mean you are against murder not for it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

How late is "late term abortion" and what is its legal framework?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2010, 12:09:29 PM
How late is "late term abortion" and what is its legal framework?

Generally third trimester, and I dunno.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:13:33 PM

Statistically I think it is after 20 weeks but that cannot be what it means in this article because I believe something like 2% of all American abortions take place that late or later and the article describes the doctor as being one of the few in the country who will do them.

But I bet a large percentage of those abortions happen for some sort of medical issue.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 12:16:44 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:13:33 PM
But I bet a large percentage of those abortions happen for some sort of medical issue.

Like wrong race?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 12:16:44 PM

Medical issue like genetic deficiency in the baby?

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:24:27 PM

Yes I am racist and want every nigger to die.  WTF you are the second person to attack me on this.  Do I have a reputation as a KKK member :P

I meant fetus abnormality that made it not viable or some sort of life threatening issue for the mother might  lead to an exception so that a doctor who might normally not do an elective late term abortion might do one in that circumstance thus making the percentage higher than one might expect.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:06:23 PM

No.  Only appealed.

In Canada such a process is at least hypothetically possible.  There is a Judicial council that hears complaints regarding judges acting inappropriately.  Not sure how close to the line this is but allowing an irrelevant argument to be made for apparently political purposes seems to come close. Not sure if they have a similar kind of review in the US.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2010, 12:48:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:24:27 PM

Yes I am racist and want every nigger to die.  WTF you are the second person to attack me on this.  Do I have a reputation as a KKK member :P

I meant fetus abnormality that made it not viable or some sort of life threatening issue for the mother might  lead to an exception so that a doctor who might normally not do an elective late term abortion might do one in that circumstance thus making the percentage higher than one might expect.

Not that kind of genetic deficiency.  :P

BUt I think you might be mistaken.  Most of those abortions are likely for genetic deficiencies like Down's Syndrome, or any of a host of other disorders that means a baby isn't 'perfect', but is far from meaning the baby isn't viable.

Sorry, this kind of stuff hits home for me right now.  My wife and I had genetic testing done, but we started to talk only to quickly realize we both agreed: we wouldn't abort our baby if he/she had such a problem.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 12, 2010, 12:56:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:06:23 PM

No.  Only appealed.

In Canada such a process is at least hypothetically possible.  There is a Judicial council that hears complaints regarding judges acting inappropriately.  Not sure how close to the line this is but allowing an irrelevant argument to be made for apparently political purposes seems to come close. Not sure if they have a similar kind of review in the US.

Be sure to point out that no judge in Canada has ever been removed by the Judicial council.  Ever.  There was the one judge in Ontario recently who came close, but he decided to resign before he was removed.  And that guy was a serious nutter.

Faeelin

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2010, 12:06:44 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 12, 2010, 10:45:46 AM
I dunno. If you're pro-life, shouldn't this man be lauded?

No.

Really? If I knew of a man who was killing hundreds of people who were just walking down the street, and the state wouldn't stop him, I might find his killer noble.