News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mark McGwire admits to using steroids!

Started by Razgovory, January 11, 2010, 04:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Stop the presses!

QuoteMark McGwire has admitted taking steroids in 1998 when he broke Roger Maris' home run record.

"I wish I had never touched steroids," McGwire said in a statement. "It was foolish and it was a mistake. I truly apologize. Looking back, I wish I had never played during the steroid era.

"I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids. I had good years when I didn't take any and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry. Baseball is really different now -- it's been cleaned up. The Commissioner and the Players Association implemented testing and they cracked down, and I'm glad they did."

McGwire is entering his first season as the hitting coach of the St. Louis Cardinals, and his return to baseball prompted his admission. "It's time for me to talk about the past and to confirm what people have suspected," McGwire said. That echoes the phrase he used repeatedly during a Congressional inquiry into steroids in baseball in 2005, when he stonewalled questions about whether he had ever used steroids by saying, "I'm not here to talk about the past."

McGwire then went into seclusion for several years before being hired at the end of last season as the Cardinals' new hitting coach.

"I'm glad Mark has gone public and the Cardinals welcome him back as our hitting coach," said Bill DeWitt Jr., the chairman of the St. Louis Cardinals.

McGwire played 16 seasons in the majors with Oakland and St. Louis. He retired after the 2001 season having hit 583 home runs, which still ranks tied for eighth in major league history. His 10.61 at bats/home run is the best ever.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/01/11/mcgwire.steroids/index.html?cnn=yes#ixzz0cL9zqNFe
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/01/11/mcgwire.steroids/index.html?cnn=yes

Also Pete Rose is a known gambler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

That ruins my concept of good and evil.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

You still aren't getting into the Hall of Fame Mark.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Barrister

I'll say it - it's nice to see him come clean.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2010, 05:44:08 PM
Didn't he fess up a long time ago?

Nope.

He would give a non-answer, such as "I'm not here to talk about the past".  By not denying it it could be presumed, but this is the first time he made a positive statement that he used steroids.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2010, 05:18:23 PM

He won't come clean till he admits to all those arsons and killing of prostitutes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2010, 06:12:12 PM

He won't come clean till he admits to all those arsons and killing of prostitutes.

Is that a Raz original theory, or has it been postulated elsewhere?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2010, 06:12:12 PM

Not a fan I take it.

Razgovory

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2010, 04:41:24 PM
Yeah, he ruined his chances by waiting this long, though they probably would've still been pretty slim anyways even if he'd fessed up at the congressional hearing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

He is going to make it. Eventually they are going to let in Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, or Rodriguez--I can't imagine none of those guys getting in. At that point, what rationale is there to keep him out? At worst he goes to the veteran's committee before getting in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2010, 06:52:35 PM

He is going to make it. Eventually they are going to let in Bonds, Clemens, Sosa, or Rodriguez--I can't imagine none of those guys getting in. At that point, what rationale is there to keep him out? At worst he goes to the veteran's committee before getting in.

If the writers don't vote him in, as it stands now he can't get in.  The VC is currently limited to considering only players from before 1943. 

Of course, that'll change regardless of Big Mac's status.  They've changed the rules the VC operates under more often than some Languishites probably change their underwear.

alfred russel

Quote from: dps on January 11, 2010, 07:07:03 PM

If the writers don't vote him in, as it stands now he can't get in.  The VC is currently limited to considering only players from before 1943. 

Of course, that'll change regardless of Big Mac's status.  They've changed the rules the VC operates under more often than some Languishites probably change their underwear.

Are you sure? That doesn't seem right.

It doesn't matter who does it, eventually he will get in.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014