Your opinion of Stalin?

Started by Faeelin, January 09, 2010, 04:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 11, 2010, 11:49:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 11, 2010, 07:13:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 02:21:54 PM

Nobody has yet taken the position that Tim has understood anything he has read other then the final score of yesterday's football game.
:rolleyes:

Ok, I may have been wrong.  Nobody has taken the position Tim understood anything other then the numbers setting out the score beside all the letters which described the beating the Patriots took.  Letters which formed words that Tim may or may not have understood.
What the hell? Since when have been on your shit list?

NOBODY LIKES YOUR FUCKING TEAM.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

For starters, it is well known there was a shitload of scientific and historic books published under Stalin's name, which in fact were written by other, actually educated people.

This not only proves that he went a long way to portray himself as an intellectual, it also proves he was not one.

Also, reading books does not an intellectual mean. Drinking cocktails and being gay is not the key either, Marty.

The bolshevik leadership was full of intellectuals, and Stalin majorly pwned all of them. Why? In part, because they were actually theoretical communists trying to achieve something, while Stalin was a thug trying to get as much power as possible.

Secondly, and more importantly, because being an "intellectual" does not equal being smart and good in practical situations, which politics and intrique is. In fact it almost guarantees the opposite. As much as us theoretical types like to think otherwise, gaining political influence and power over fellow humans is very much a question of down-to-earth methods and social backstabbing you only need a hint of intelligence to be good at.

So stop this discussion it is fucking stupid.

Sahib

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2010, 07:46:10 AM
For starters, it is well known there was a shitload of scientific and historic books published under Stalin's name, which in fact were written by other, actually educated people.

This not only proves that he went a long way to portray himself as an intellectual, it also proves he was not one.

Also, reading books does not an intellectual mean. Drinking cocktails and being gay is not the key either, Marty.

The bolshevik leadership was full of intellectuals, and Stalin majorly pwned all of them. Why? In part, because they were actually theoretical communists trying to achieve something, while Stalin was a thug trying to get as much power as possible.

Secondly, and more importantly, because being an "intellectual" does not equal being smart and good in practical situations, which politics and intrique is. In fact it almost guarantees the opposite. As much as us theoretical types like to think otherwise, gaining political influence and power over fellow humans is very much a question of down-to-earth methods and social backstabbing you only need a hint of intelligence to be good at.

I'm sorry, citation needed.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

grumbler

Quote from: Sahib on January 12, 2010, 08:55:17 AM

I'm sorry, citation needed.
Tamas will now cite an obscure academic paper of 639 pages. It will mention Stalin's unintellectuality in a half sentence in a footnote on page 562. Of course Tamas will refuse to tell you where to find it exactly.  Instead of citing obscure sources he refutes them because they don't address the precise point he argues. As usual, he declares victory unless his opponent jumps through all the nitpicky loops he holds up for them.  He'd probably say that the way his debates are always like this on here because of the lack of intellectual challenge the posters pose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on January 12, 2010, 08:59:15 AM
*unoriginal copy/paste with names exchanged*

Still going on about this, gramps? :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 11, 2010, 07:07:57 PM
After reading so many goddamned pages, I have come to the realization that most of you have little Stalins inside.

Well, yeah.

But a little Ex-Lax(tm) will take care of that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 11, 2010, 11:49:24 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 08:12:26 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 11, 2010, 07:13:08 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 02:21:54 PM

Nobody has yet taken the position that Tim has understood anything he has read other then the final score of yesterday's football game.
:rolleyes:

Ok, I may have been wrong.  Nobody has taken the position Tim understood anything other then the numbers setting out the score beside all the letters which described the beating the Patriots took.  Letters which formed words that Tim may or may not have understood.
What the hell? Since when have been on your shit list?

Its NFL playoff season and the Patriots lost.  You are going to be a target until at least next weekend. 

Razgovory

The worst thing about Stalin is he didn't totally destroy Hungary.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I don't think Stalin was less destructive than grumbler.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2010, 11:46:01 AM

Not Stalin's fault you can't control your appetite.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 12, 2010, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2010, 11:46:01 AM

Not Stalin's fault you can't control your appetite.

:yuk:

Bad one.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2010, 10:46:50 AM
Quote from: grumbler on January 12, 2010, 08:59:15 AM
*funny-as-balls shit copy/paste with names exchanged*

Still going on about this, gramps? :huh:
Sure, gramps; it is still funny as balls.  :lol:

Some stuff is so mind-blowingly stupid that it is fun to throw it back into the originator's face repeatedly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 12, 2010, 11:46:12 AM
I don't think Stalin was less destructive than grumbler.
And I don't think Stalin less fundamentally unintellectual than The Brain.

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on January 12, 2010, 12:14:13 PM
Sure, gramps; it is still funny as balls.  :lol:

Some stuff is so mind-blowingly stupid that it is fun to throw it back into the originator's face repeatedly.

Well, I'm glad that you're easily amused. I guess it takes some load off the shoulders of your male nurses at your old people's home. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.