News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your opinion of Stalin?

Started by Faeelin, January 09, 2010, 04:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 11, 2010, 01:48:33 PM

You have to deal with those contentions, because they are what the thread has turned out to be about!  :lol:  No one except you, me, Raz, Valmy, Ulmont, and Wayland appear to  be the slightest bit interested in Stalin!  :lol:

Well to be honest, he's not really my type.  I like'em female, alive, no mustache.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on January 11, 2010, 01:09:37 PM
Do you agree with grumbler that Stalin was a profoundly unintellectual man?

I think if your aim was to needle grumbler, this was not a good example to use.

Kind of funny though to see poor Tim:
(a) get hit by collateral damage in the grumbler fight
(b) compared to Stalin
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2010, 04:02:17 PM

I don't follow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

(b) compared to Stalin

He was born to be collateral damage.

"In this evening's news a US predator drone attacked and killed 6 suspected terrorists.  Some poor Puerto Rican kid with cancer was also killed."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2010, 04:05:17 PM

(b) compared to Stalin

He was born to be collateral damage.

"In this evening's news a US predator drone attacked and killed 6 suspected terrorists.  Some poor Puerto Rican kid with cancer was also killed."

lol.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

This is discussion made me go to Wiki to refresh my knowledge on the matters.  I was shocked by what I found.  I know that Obama was dressed up as a terrorist, but I didn't know that he also on one occassion dressed up as an NKVD officer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Pat

Quote from: grumbler on January 11, 2010, 01:48:33 PM

You have to deal with those contentions, because they are what the thread has turned out to be about!  :lol:  No one except you, me, Raz, Valmy, Ulmont, and Wayland appear to  be the slightest bit interested in Stalin!  :lol:

I feel rather unfairly treated to be left out of your list, as I posted examples of Stalin debating with H.G. Wells on a fairly high level which clearly speaks against Stalin being a profoundly unintellectual man, and yet did not mention you. I could have said, for example, that whatever intelligence Stalin might have had he seems to have been a lot more pleasant to argue with than you are.

grumbler

Quote from: Pat on January 11, 2010, 05:26:55 PM
I feel rather unfairly treated to be left out of your list, as I posted examples of Stalin debating with H.G. Wells on a fairly high level which clearly speaks against Stalin being a profoundly unintellectual man, and yet did not mention you. I could have said, for example, that whatever intelligence Stalin might have had he seems to have been a lot more pleasant to argue with than you are.
Your links were both busted when I tried them, so I didn't know if you were being serious.  My apologies if you were.

Your ad hom is noted with pleasure.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Is it too late to go back to Paradox OT?

I am very surprised that Stalin did not mention Grumbler in his discussion with H.G. Wells since it is well known within Languish that Grumbler has been a significant figure in history since at least the battle of Actium.

Also, it is surprising that everyone failed to grasp the importance of your post.  Everyone except you of course.  Could it be all of us or just you? :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 11, 2010, 04:15:50 PM
This is discussion made me go to Wiki to refresh my knowledge on the matters.  I was shocked by what I found.  I know that Obama was dressed up as a terrorist, but I didn't know that he also on one occassion dressed up as an NKVD officer.

And they said he was to young and inexperienced. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 05:38:34 PM
I am very surprised that Stalin did not mention Grumbler in his discussion with H.G. Wells since it is well known within Languish that Grumbler has been a significant figure in history since at least the battle of Actium.

Was he with Octavian or Antony?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 11, 2010, 06:23:00 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2010, 05:38:34 PM

Was he with Octavian or Antony?

Since he is still with us I would think the answer was obvious.

The Minsky Moment

I could have said, for example, that whatever intelligence Stalin might have had he seems to have been a lot more pleasant to argue with than you are.

That depends on how unpleasant one finds discussing semantics as opposed to say having ones finger nails torn out by an NKVD thug wielding red hot tongs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2010, 06:16:18 PM
And they said he was to young and inexperienced.
I hope he'll lasts more than two years at his current job.