News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your opinion of Stalin?

Started by Faeelin, January 09, 2010, 04:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I want to get involved in the spat.

But I can't think of anything, so I'm Stalin for time.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

I apologize for my previous post. that was awful.

Martinus

Why does anyone even bother to argue with grumbler anymore? It's not like you guys are new to Languish.  :huh:

Razgovory

I don't know what Gardner's intelligences thingy is but I do know he actually wrote a paper on linguistics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2010, 03:36:43 PM
Why does anyone even bother to argue with grumbler anymore? It's not like you guys are new to Languish.  :huh:

Same reason people argue with you, to pass the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 10, 2010, 03:36:38 PM
I apologize for my previous post. that was awful.
It fit right in, then!  :cool:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2010, 03:36:43 PM

I'm not arguing with Grumbler.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

This thread reminds me of a family episode a while back.  We used to have a relative that was a vulgar piece of shit.  He had no redeeming qualities about himself.  For the next family meeting, my grandma's sister resolved to give that POS a piece of her mind.  Unfortunately, she was so ready to unload that she went prematurely.  She blew up during one of the few times where the guy's behavior was not objectionable.

It seems like Syt was so ready to denounce grumbler that he went before grumbler really started acting like grumbler.

PDH

I would like to say that I am arguing with everyone here.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Martinus

MadImmortalMan

Actually, I'm a bit interested in this book declaring Stalin an intellectual. It goes very much against my impression of the man. What does it say?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

BuddhaRhubarb

I'm assuming he was kind of a douchebag.
:p

ulmont

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 10, 2010, 05:18:55 PM
Actually, I'm a bit interested in this book declaring Stalin an intellectual. It goes very much against my impression of the man. What does it say?

That Stalin read a lot of history and literature on his own.

"a nervy intellectual who manically read history and literature" (p.6)

"Constantly reading in his huge library, educating himself with Tsarist history textbooks (and the novels of Balzac and Dickens)" (p.63)

See also Chapter 7 - "Stalin the Intellectual"
http://www.amazon.com/Stalin-Court-Simon-Sebag-Montefiore/dp/1400076781/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263162695&sr=8-1#reader_1400076781

Razgovory

Hitler read quite bit on his own as well but nobody would have mistaken him for an "intellectual".  Something that was sore spot for him as well.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on January 10, 2010, 06:10:10 PM
Hitler read quite bit on his own as well but nobody would have mistaken him for an "intellectual".  Something that was sore spot for him as well.

Hitler was too busy ranting about fonts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDiDATbIG-o