The Brain

CdM as umpire = EL DISASTRO

He's untrustworthy to a fault.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on January 08, 2010, 05:01:39 AM

Isn't untrustworthy a fault in the first place?

The Brain

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2010, 05:45:27 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 08, 2010, 05:01:39 AM

Isn't untrustworthy a fault in the first place?

Not when you're an umpire with elastic rules and no oversight.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 08, 2010, 05:49:50 AM
Not when you're an umpire with elastic rules and no oversight.
But, because he has a license for concealed carry, he is one of the Umpires in Arms, and so doesn't suffer from all the backtalk that slows games down.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

I would imagine the heart of a game like this would be placing absolute trust in the umpire not to fuck you.  If you start doubting the calls, then you may as well just quit.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2010, 01:04:01 PM
I would imagine the heart of a game like this would be placing absolute trust in the umpire not to fuck you.  If you start doubting the calls, then you may as well just quit.

I am going to use that on the coach the next time he starts bitching about a call in a basketball game.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Au Contraire, in this game's case you cannot see the umpire fucking you or making a lousy call.  When you're officiating, it is rather easy to notice your fuck-ups.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on January 08, 2010, 07:06:03 PM
When you're officiating, it is rather easy to notice your fuck-ups.  :P

Very true.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on January 10, 2010, 08:29:56 PM
I've never noticed any of my fuck-ups!

Of course not.  It's in the Referee Manual.