Star Wars vs Star Trek - the ultimate nerd battle

Started by Barrister, January 05, 2010, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which is the better sci fi series: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Star Wars
33 (45.2%)
Star Trek
36 (49.3%)
I like to pretend I'm not a nerd (even though I post on languish)
4 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Barrister

We've discussed nearly every geeky topic under the sun, but I don't think we've ever done this one (plus I've been brushing up on my Star Trek geekdom with the new MMO coming out).

Now I know Dr. Who has it's fans, Battlestar Galactica was nifty, Buck Rodgers has golden age cool, and Babylon 5 has grumbler.  But we all know that in the end there are two towering behemoths of science fiction-dom.

So which is your favourite: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Luke Skywalker, or Captain Kirk?

The Millenium Falcon, or the Enterprise?

Yeoman Rand in a 60s miniskirt, or Princess Leia in a gold bikini?

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!, or KHHHHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Ed Anger

I like to pretend you all will die in nerd death camps
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Star Wars original trilogy beats anything Star Trek put out. The second trilogy was a huge let-down, but still not as bad as the worst of Trek. Star Wars ftw.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Star Wars, despite George Lucas' best efforts of late.  Killing the Karen Traviss series and making Mandalore into a peace-loving, post-apocalyptic world is nigh on unforgivable though.  I'm going through season 1 of TOS, and my opinions could alter.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Queequeg

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2010, 06:17:23 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on January 05, 2010, 06:16:02 PM
Star Wars, mostly as it takes more from Dune.

Only you would see Dune in Star Wars.
:huh:
Are you fucking serious?  Frank Herbert almost sued Lucas.  What do you think Tatooine is, anyway? Tusken Raiders?  They even have a Sand Worm carcass in the background. 

"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Star Trek. Because unlike Star Wars it's not just for children.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Link.

Star Wars is basically a cocktail of Dune, Campbell, early 20th Century Sci-Fi/Fantasy serials and The Hidden Fortress.  This is common knowledge. 

Josquius

Trek movies are much worse than SW. Even the best of them are merely good, not best ever material.
Comparing the series' to SW is comparing apples and oranges.

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on January 05, 2010, 06:21:38 PM
Star Wars, despite George Lucas' best efforts of late.  Killing the Karen Traviss series and making Mandalore into a peace-loving, post-apocalyptic world is nigh on unforgivable though.  I'm going through season 1 of TOS, and my opinions could alter.
I refuse to recognise all that expanded universe stuff.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on January 05, 2010, 06:29:53 PM
Link.

Star Wars is basically a cocktail of Dune, Campbell, early 20th Century Sci-Fi/Fantasy serials and The Hidden Fortress.  This is common knowledge.

Totally agree on Joseph Campbell, early serieals, and The Hidden Fortress.

It's only Dune I disagree with.

The only parallels I really see are a desert planet.  Woo.

Ed Anger

Star Wars is clearly Basil's Byzantium with an Armenian tinge.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Star Wars but only if you ignore the last three movies.  Of course if you pick ST you have to ingnore so much more.

But both pale in comparison to Babylon 5.

katmai

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2010, 06:49:34 PM
Star Wars but only if you ignore the last three movies.  Of course if you pick ST you have to ingnore so much more.

But both pale in comparison to Babylon 5.

:yuk:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

We definitely have done this before, but it was so long ago it might have been @ KAPLand or even EUOT.  But I don't remember the answer the last time so it's worthwhile to do it again.  :cool:

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's Trek all the way.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points