Iceland: "We're keeping your money, suckers!"

Started by Brazen, January 05, 2010, 07:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2010, 02:31:01 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 05, 2010, 02:15:05 PM
If we're going to call people who invest for an extra half a percent greedy, why shouldn't we call bankers who knew they couldn't repay their deposits greedy?
Why can't you admit you were wrong about deposit guarantees?

I admit I was wrong?

Feel better?  :huh:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 05, 2010, 02:40:45 PM
being a citizen of a place doesn't equal being not a citizen of a place.

Hence the need of putting a non-discrimination clause into an inter-governmental accord.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2010, 02:41:39 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 05, 2010, 02:39:55 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 05, 2010, 02:27:16 PM
People are greedy, but seeking out a decent interest rate in a sound bank is hardly the most egregious display of that greed  :huh:

continuing to stick around when people in the know are warning of the dangers of staying around is. That or stupidity. Better to be called greedy rather than stupid then I guess

Wasn't there a government guarantee?

and you believe everything people -especially those in power- say?

that said, and I do want to make this clear, my responsses are how I would feel if I were such an Icelander, or if it was me who have to pay the equivalent of 13K euros to some stranger.
Iceland must of course do what's best for the country but what that is... Well, let's say that there are countries who do far worse things and don't get treated any differently for it.

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 05, 2010, 02:39:55 PM
continuing to stick around when people in the know are warning of the dangers of staying around is. That or stupidity. Better to be called greedy rather than stupid then I guess
I guess it is stupid for them not to know then what you know now, but frankly you were stupid as well, because you didn't know then, either.

The fact is that the Icelandic finance minister assured depositors that Iceland's government would protect against a failure a mere two days before the failure.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2010, 02:00:02 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on January 05, 2010, 01:46:38 PM
The Greedy ones would be the Icelandic bankers who decided they could take people's money and breach laws guaranteeing deposits, no?
How did the bankers breach laws about *governmental* guarantee of deposits?

To the best of my knowledge they did not. Banks are bound by law (iirc) to keep some percent of their liabilities on hand. Laws all over the world (not just iceland) have for a long time been lowering that level, the banks have been lobbying for it. This extra cash has then been invested in various project of variable liquidity.

The Icelandic bankers were simply more aggressive in leveraging their deposits than others. Now our problem was that ALL our banks did that. Every bank from the farmers coop bank to the marble plated Bank of Iceland were trying to turn themselves into investment banks at the behest and to the benefit of their owners (the farmers, workers and fishermans coop banks were all privatised and merged). The two great creditors (the UK and The Netherlands) both had banking failures in the same period. The difference is that the 60M Britishers and the 20M Dutch could find the cash to prop up the bank that failed. The 300K Icelanders had to not only prop up all the local banks but also some rather large foreign ones as well.

To the best of my knowledge these "crazy" banks never lost money. They were just leveraged up to the hilt and reliant on cheap, quick and easy credit to stay liquid. When the credit stopped, they were left with non-liquid assets they couldn't sell (at a decent price) to pay their short term debts.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

I say we nuke them from orbit, just to be sure.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2010, 01:58:32 PM
Iceland = Third World

low income, single export, all infrastructure in one spot, corrupt politicians, yepp.. that sounds like a third world country

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on January 05, 2010, 03:14:47 PM
The two great creditors (the UK and The Netherlands) both had banking failures in the same period. The difference is that the 60M Britishers and the 20M Dutch could find the cash to prop up the bank that failed. The 300K Icelanders had to not only prop up all the local banks but also some rather large foreign ones as well.

Which kind of raises the obvious questions about the wisdom of Iceland to keep out of the EU.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: katmai on January 05, 2010, 03:15:11 PM

yeah yeah, turn our country into a wasteland racked by a nuclear winter will you.. that would probably be an improvement.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on January 05, 2010, 03:21:45 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 05, 2010, 03:15:11 PM

yeah yeah, turn our country into a wasteland racked by a nuclear winter will you.. that would probably be an improvement.

Doesn't sound like anything would change to be honest. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2010, 03:20:52 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 05, 2010, 03:14:47 PM
The two great creditors (the UK and The Netherlands) both had banking failures in the same period. The difference is that the 60M Britishers and the 20M Dutch could find the cash to prop up the bank that failed. The 300K Icelanders had to not only prop up all the local banks but also some rather large foreign ones as well.

Which kind of raises the obvious questions about the wisdom of Iceland to keep out of the EU.

We have already applied, for precisely that reason. Personally I think we just want to get in before we have to default, so the EU can bail us out properly.

The Brain

I'd rather have Turkey in the EU than Iceland.  :x

JUST KIDDING LOL
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2010, 03:28:56 PM

JUST KIDDING LOL

damn it you almost got me there... :mad:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Josquius

JUST KIDDING LOL
If Iceland aren't going to pay back the money I'd agree with that.
But then I support Turkey in the EU anyway.
I wonder what will happen, this is a huge cassus beli, a big FU from Iceland but of course these things aren't followed up on between first world democracies so...hmm
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2010, 04:02:32 PM

JUST KIDDING LOL
If Iceland aren't going to pay back the money I'd agree with that.
But then I support Turkey in the EU anyway.
I wonder what will happen, this is a huge cassus beli, a big FU from Iceland but of course these things aren't followed up on between first world democracies so...hmm

meh.. the RN isn't quite what it was during the cod wars...