News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Audio/Video Geeks, to me! Help needed

Started by Pedrito, January 04, 2010, 05:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

I'm almost done installing and setting my new a/v system up, but I have a problem connecting the Wii to the receiver.
The wii component cable is made of five jacks: red, green and blue for the video, another red and a white jack for the audio: but my receiver's Component In has only the Video plugs, and I don't know where to to plug the two audio jacks.
The manual (yes, this time I've read the f***ing manual!) says nothing about it, so I've tried plugging them in a separate Audio In, but with no success: the wii signal is displayed correctly for the video part, no love for the audio instead  :(

Has anyone any idea about this problem?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

katmai

What are all the options for audio plugin on receiver?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

There should be an audio input on the back of the receiver with the same name as your video input ("Video 1" or whatever).

Why would you want to run your vid through your receiver anyway?  If you don't do that, then any audio selection will work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on January 04, 2010, 05:34:46 PM
I'm almost done installing and setting my new a/v system up, but I have a problem connecting the Wii to the receiver.
The wii component cable is made of five jacks: red, green and blue for the video, another red and a white jack for the audio: but my receiver's Component In has only the Video plugs, and I don't know where to to plug the two audio jacks.
The manual (yes, this time I've read the f***ing manual!) says nothing about it, so I've tried plugging them in a separate Audio In, but with no success: the wii signal is displayed correctly for the video part, no love for the audio instead  :(

Has anyone any idea about this problem?

L.
There really should be some audio jacks out there...

The component plugs should tell you something like "VCR" or "DVD", just plug the audio in the same place as you did for your video cables.  I.e. if where you plugged your component it says "DVD", then use the DVD jacks.  Then, when you switch over to your component, it should automatically switch audio&video to the proper channel.

Otherwise, post the make&model # if you AVR, maybe someone is more familiar with this model.  It is possible that you may need to enter some setup menu to properly configure the thing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Pedrito

The back IN ports are:
AV1, component video in with additional Optical In (the Wii is plugged here right now)
AV2, component video in with coaxial
AV3-AV6, irrelevant right now

Audio IN are:
PHONO, for a turntable;
Audio 1 and  Audio 2, red+white RCA plugs
One set of Multi Channel Input via RCA (Front, Center, Surround, SubW, etc.)

and 4 HDMI ports that cannot be used for the Wii

grumbler, I'd simply like every signal to pass through the receiver, call it a question of clarity  ;)

Viper, the receiver is a Yamaha RX-V765

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Pedrito

Great minds think: alike, but sometimes think: fail.

It was my uneducated guess, too, and the wrong one.

Another question: is the coaxial input under the component's R/G/B a video or an audio input? If an audio, does a connector exist that can convert my two audio RCAs to one single coaxial?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

grumbler

Quote from: Pedrito on January 04, 2010, 06:02:49 PM
grumbler, I'd simply like every signal to pass through the receiver, call it a question of clarity  ;)
You realize that you are losing signal (and therefor clarity) by patching through a receiver, right?  Every connection you make costs SNR, and the amp adds noting to video SNR.

Unless there is a compelling reason to want to use the switching capability in the receiver, I'd not route video through it at all.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Pedrito, try AV5 or AV6

Video in AV1, Audio in AV5.

Never mind that.

Last page of this : http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/Documents/YEC/AV_Receivers/Manual/RX-V765_manual.pdf

Pedrito

Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2010, 07:35:48 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on January 04, 2010, 06:02:49 PM
You realize that you are losing signal (and therefor clarity) by patching through a receiver, right?  Every connection you make costs SNR, and the amp adds noting to video SNR.

Unless there is a compelling reason to want to use the switching capability in the receiver, I'd not route video through it at all.

There are no compelling reasons to pass through the receiver, and maybe I used the wrong term when speaking of "clarity" - the intended use, more than a physical one (I know that every pass through degrades signal quality) is a mental one: I want to control all my equipment through the receiver, and a single cable to go up to the TV.
Plus, I want to try the 1080i upscaling capabilities of the receiver (the Wii's maximum resolution is 576i, IIRC), and to see if the Wii audio section gains benefit from the 5.1 speakers more than from the crappy TV speakers.

GF, the link you gave me needs registration  <_<, but I assume it's the manual I have in paper form: I'll read it more carefully  ;) ; thanks, though 

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Brazen

Get a jacks to SCART converter. I used one of these on my PS2.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Pedrito on January 05, 2010, 04:56:36 AM
GF, the link you gave me needs registration  <_<, but I assume it's the manual I have in paper form: I'll read it more carefully  ;) ; thanks, though 

I registered for you! You can register for yourself!

but it says :

Video in AV1
Audio in Audio1

You choose Audio input setting first then you choose video input settings.

Valdemar

My Wii only has 3 jacks for AV.. but like Brazen said, i used the converter and added it to the scart port.

V

Pedrito

No SCART port on the receiver.

GF, I'm too lazy, and you've already researched for me  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h