Obama's 47 Percent Approval Lowest of Any President at This Point

Started by Strix, January 01, 2010, 12:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 05, 2010, 05:22:33 PM
ah, but the French have lots of Présidents: from the local brass-band commitee-chairman all the way up to the elysée committee-chairman :p
But, while the US has many presidents, it has only one President.... the President.  :elvis:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2010, 05:06:36 PM
We've been over this before Joan.  If newspapers and magazines were the only question Katie had asked Palin would be even more ridiculous than she is in fact, but it wasn't.

The point is that Katie's meaness was irrelevant, b/c Palin was just as hopeless with the easy questions as with the less easy (but still not tough) questions.  If the claim is the penumbra of Katie's bitchiness was so upsetting to Palin that she lost the ability to answer the most simple queries, then Katie's bad faith served the very useful public purpose of exposing a would-be national leader as being not remotely ready for prime time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

We've been over this before Joan.  If newspapers and magazines were the only question Katie had asked Palin would be even more ridiculous than she is in fact, but it wasn't.
But this is the question that Bill O'Reilly asked 'why'd you fuck it up' and Palin responded by saying:
QuotePALIN: It's ridiculous to suggest that or to say that I couldn't tell people what I read. Because by that point already it was relatively early in that multi segmented interview with Katie Couric, it was quite obvious that it was going to be a bit of an annoying interview with the badgering of the questions...I think if most normal Americans were put in the same position that I was there, they'd probably look at her and have thatproverbial eye roll and say are you kidding me?
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on January 05, 2010, 05:28:09 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 05, 2010, 05:22:33 PM
ah, but the French have lots of Présidents: from the local brass-band commitee-chairman all the way up to the elysée committee-chairman :p
But, while the US has many presidents, it has only one President.... the President.  :elvis:

I think you're confused. Elvis has never been President.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 05, 2010, 05:28:15 PM
The point is that Katie's meaness was irrelevant, b/c Palin was just as hopeless with the easy questions as with the less easy (but still not tough) questions.  If the claim is the penumbra of Katie's bitchiness was so upsetting to Palin that she lost the ability to answer the most simple queries, then Katie's bad faith served the very useful public purpose of exposing a would-be national leader as being not remotely ready for prime time.
Katie's meaness is irrelevant to the issue of Palin's intelligence; it's relevant to the question of media hostility to the right.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 05:34:09 PM
But this is the question that Bill O'Reilly asked 'why'd you fuck it up' and Palin responded by saying:
And? The fact that Palin has a fucked up view of media persecution doesn't mean that media persecution is a myth.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2010, 05:36:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 05:34:09 PM
And? The fact that Palin has a fucked up view of media persecution doesn't mean that media persecution is a myth.
Okay but this seems like you're saying people on the right can't have a victim complex with the media because media persecution exists.  I don't remember you being so forgiving of other 'victim' groups :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 05:39:26 PM
Okay but this seems like you're saying people on the right can't have a victim complex with the media because media persecution exists.  I don't remember you being so forgiving of other 'victim' groups :mellow:
To clarify I think Palin has been playing the victim card.  I started of this round of discussion by saying both are true, remember? I'm not that familiar with Glen Beck's utterances or this Census lady so I can't comment.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 05, 2010, 03:52:43 PM
Later in the interview she talks about this elite:
QuoteO'REILLY: Do you believe that you are smart enough, incisive enough, intellectual enough to handle the most powerful job in the world?

PALIN: I believe that I am because I have common sense. And I have, I believe, the values that are reflective of so many other American values. And I believe that what Americans are seeking is not the elitism, the kind of a spinelessness that perhaps is made up for that with some kind of elite Ivy League education and a fact resume that's based on anything but hard work and private sector, free enterprise principles. Americans could be seeking something like that in positive change in their leadership. I'm not saying that has to be me.
Sheilbh, do you have that Palin quote in English?

katmai

I am proud to say I never voted for her, though i give my dad shit for him doing so :lol:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Are you seriously suggesting that someone with superhero powers which enable her to watch Russia from her back step in Alaska isnt worth consideration for President. 

Fate

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2010, 05:50:39 PM

Are you seriously suggesting that someone with superhero powers which enable her to watch Russia from her back step in Alaska isnt worth consideration for President.

We've already considered it. She will be our next President.  :licklips:

The era of the PILF has begun.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2010, 05:35:05 PM
Katie's meaness is irrelevant to the issue of Palin's intelligence; it's relevant to the question of media hostility to the right.

Not really; its not only the left wing media that has it out for her.
What has happened is that the rise of Fox and right-wing talk radio has "liberated" certainly traditional left wing media elements from pretences of objectivity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2010, 05:34:54 PM
I think you're confused. Elvis has never been President.
He was called "The King" but America has no kings, only presidents.  So he was "The President."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!