Judge throws out Blackwater murder charges

Started by jimmy olsen, December 31, 2009, 11:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strix

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 05:30:40 PM
I don't work for YTG (Yukon Territorial Government). :goodboy:

I work for the Federal Government. :menace:

It might be different in Canada.

Here, the DoJ won't touch a case unless Helen Kellar could win it. It gets thrown back at the State who wins most of them but the criminals get lesser sentences.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 01:11:19 PM
And you've never seen an incompetent government until you've dealt with the Yukon Territorial Government.  It has 98% of the powers of a province, and a billion dollar plus federal grant, and absolutely no one remotely qualified to do anything.

So where do i apply!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2010, 08:52:44 PM
And you've never seen an incompetent government until you've dealt with the Yukon Territorial Government.  It has 98% of the powers of a province, and a billion dollar plus federal grant, and absolutely no one remotely qualified to do anything.

So where do i apply!

http://employment.gov.yk.ca/

You'd fit right in.  :P
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Strix on January 01, 2010, 08:50:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 05:30:40 PM
I don't work for YTG (Yukon Territorial Government). :goodboy:

I work for the Federal Government. :menace:

Here, the DoJ won't touch a case unless Helen Kellar could win it. It gets thrown back at the State who wins most of them but the criminals get lesser sentences.

We've been dealing with DoJ fuckups in the ongoing cases of political corruption up here (Ted Stevens, and the 3-5 state officials caught up with the former Veco Oil company)

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2010, 06:43:50 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2010, 01:04:11 PM
Not all government is like the navy.
Not all government is unlike the US Navy, either.  If you drove, then you would have to deal with Department of Motor Vehicle types and police, and you would know what I meant.

It's funny I've never had any problems with Department of Motor Vehicles or the police.  Even when I did drive. 

I'm trying to decide if you are trolling on this.  It's so unlike you to say something this stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 08:54:09 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2010, 08:52:44 PM

So where do i apply!

http://employment.gov.yk.ca/

You'd fit right in.  :P

:w00t:

Barrister

Quote from: Strix on January 01, 2010, 08:50:43 PM

Definitely different that us.  We're unafraid to lose a case. :whistle:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on January 01, 2010, 08:54:38 PM
It's funny I've never had any problems with Department of Motor Vehicles or the police.  Even when I did drive. 
AND THEN YOU WOKE UP, AND YOUR PILLOW WAS GONE!  :o

QuoteI'm trying to decide if you are trolling on this.  It's so unlike you to say something this stupid.
Don't worry about it.  You could not understand it even if I explained it to you.  :secret:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

Sounds like grumbles had a few too many.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Occasionally Grumbler says some bizarre things.  This is one of them.  I think it's either trolling or senility.  When we get to a point like this it's best to just smile and nod. :yes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2010, 08:54:26 PM
We've been dealing with DoJ fuckups in the ongoing cases of political corruption up here (Ted Stevens, and the 3-5 state officials caught up with the former Veco Oil company)

Yes, I imagine the DoJ is pissing in their pants. It kills them to be forced to actually work a case that the outcome isn't already 99.9% certain.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2010, 08:55:24 PM
Definitely different that us.  We're unafraid to lose a case. :whistle:
Given that there is no criminal code for provinces, it's a given that you won't send the case to the provinces ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

Apparently, these guys can't be tried in Iraq because of an immunity agreement in place at the time between the Iraqi government and the Coalition Provisional Authority.

However, that raises a legal question I don't have the answer to: does the benefit of that immunity agreement attach to the individuals as such, or can it be waived by the US government?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson