News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New PC for me...

Started by Sophie Scholl, December 29, 2009, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

So... after having to deal with my computer crashing regularly and freezing while loading for far, far too long, I'm thinking of finally biting the bullet and getting a new machine.  My current one is crap, but it needs to go.  Ideally I'd have tons of cash to spend on a top of the line model, but I don't.  After browsing Newegg, I came across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103232.  What do ya'll think?  All I really want it for intensity-wise is to be able to handle EU3 which won't run on my current shite machine and to be able to play WoW or LotRO decently.  That and play and store a lot of music.  So, thoughts?  Also, thanks in advance. :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

store.apple.com/mac-mini  :)

I dunno, I do tend to believe in trying to buy quality.  That system is certainly cheap, but it does seem like they're using the cheapest possible components while hitting certain bullet points.  Can you hang on a few months then put down a bit more money on a nicer system?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Unlikely.  The constant problems with my computer have been doing nothing but increasing as of late.  It went from just crashing during WoW to crashing at random when all I'd have open would be one internet site or a media player.  Also, the constant freezing at startup is getting worse as well.  I've strung it along for probably a year longer than I thought I could, but I don't see it lasting more than a month tops.  I did look at macs, but daaaaaaamn are they expensive.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 29, 2009, 08:30:41 PM
Unlikely.  The constant problems with my computer have been doing nothing but increasing as of late.  It went from just crashing during WoW to crashing at random when all I'd have open would be one internet site or a media player.  Also, the constant freezing at startup is getting worse as well.  I've strung it along for probably a year longer than I thought I could, but I don't see it lasting more than a month tops.  I did look at macs, but daaaaaaamn are they expensive.

Did you look at the Mac Mini I linked you to?

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on December 29, 2009, 09:07:17 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on December 29, 2009, 08:30:41 PM

Did you look at the Mac Mini I linked you to?

FFS, give it a rest. The Mac Mini may be cheap for a Mac but it still won't give him as much bang for his buck as other non-fruit options.  For $600 ($700 after you buy a Win7 license) you can get a system with a lot more than 2gb memory & a 160GB hard drive.  Not to mention not having to deal with Apple's closed architecture BS.

I do like the Mac Mini for certain situations, but you shouldn't be pushing him to use it as his primary PC.

Besides, linky no worky :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sophie Scholl

Truth.  It was link fail.  Like I said, I've thought about macs, but it'd have to wait till I had a lot more money to spend than I have now, as I wouldn't be able to recycle my monitor and speakers with the mini I'm sure.  Therefore we'd be looking at another... $200 or so, bringing the cost up closer to a grand than $500.  Thanks for the thought though Beeb. :hug:

grumbler

JI, that's not a very future-proofed machine, but if you are on a tight budget, and don't want to do a piecemeal upgrade of what you now have, that's an okay machine (and has Win7 Home Premium, which kinda surprises me since there were cheaper/worse ways to go).  The memory in particular in that machine, though, is sllllooowwww.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

Find a friend with a .edu email address and you can pick up a legit copy of Win7 Professional (or Home) for $30.

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on December 31, 2009, 11:59:34 PM
Find a friend with a .edu email address and you can pick up a legit copy of Win7 Professional (or Home) for $30.
:lmfao:

Hai Dorsey!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on January 01, 2010, 12:28:42 PM
:lmfao:

Hai Dorsey!

hi jaron

Sophie Scholl

I have a .edu mailing address.  Care to explain how I'd get it?  Danke.

Fate

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage

It's an upgrade version, so I believe you'll need XP or Vista installed before you can use it. Neither of those necessarily have to be legitimate. :goodboy:

Barrister

Thanks for showing how ethical you are Fate. :hug:

Sophie Scholl

Sweet Chocolate Christ.  My computer's been stuck in a UPS depot since New Year's Eve and isn't scheduled to be delivered till Monday.  Bastards.  The damned depot is... 14 miles from my house too.   I hate UPS.  They did this shit with my Halloween costume as well.