What do you have to do before you can go to bed?

Started by Monoriu, December 30, 2009, 04:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valdemar

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 30, 2009, 02:32:01 PM
Quote from: Threviel on December 30, 2009, 02:09:21 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 30, 2009, 05:58:49 AM
I check that the house is secure, turn the heating off, take a leak, wash my hands and clean my teeth.

Why do you turn the heating off? Won't it get cold in the morning?

No, it doesn't  :)

I normally heat the house to 19 celsius and it only cools down to 16 celsius overnight; which makes for a comfortable nights sleep.

It's a brick and stone-built house, so there is a fair amount of thermal inertia. My brother-in-law informs me that the situation in timber-framed house is quite different and that in those cases one should leave the heating on. Whether he is right or not is anybody's guess  :D

I follow more or less the ritual of Richard Hakluyt, check doors, turn of light, brush teeth, check on the kids, pee, go to bed.

I do NOT turn of the heat as our furnace adjust itself, btw 22-6 it automatically turns down to a supposed lower room temp, then turns back on in the morning, all adjusted by the temp of the return water and outdoor temps :)

V

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on December 31, 2009, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: Threviel on December 31, 2009, 03:18:35 AM
Dang, that sounds like a hassle. I have set the thermostat in the bedroom at 18 degrees or so, and in the rest of the house on 20 degrees. But our house is very well insulated, so I don't think we would gain much by turning on and off the heat.
It's pretty usual in the UK to have your heating timer go off just before bedtime and come on just before your alarm go off.

Yeah, ours is automatic. I don't actively go change it; the system has been set up to do the changes every night for us.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on December 31, 2009, 08:48:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 31, 2009, 08:44:12 AM
I'm surprised nobody answered with "masterbation", which is what I needed to do before I could go to sleep from ages 14-18.
Surprised they don't do it or surprised they didn't spell it that way?

:P Stupid Brits and their "u"s.

Grey Fox

Turning off the heat in the night would mean death.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.