African-Americans Go From Being No Good At Sports To Being Only Good At Sports

Started by Martinus, December 29, 2009, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteAfrican-Americans Go From Being No Good At Sports To Being Only Good At Sports

The late 1940s and '50s saw a role reversal unprecedented in the history of sport, as African-Americans—once thought incapable of physically competing against whites—began dominating playing fields to such an extent that their athletic skills soon came to be seen as their only contribution to society.

"Blacks have no chance against whites on the baseball diamond. They simply don't have what it takes to make the effort," Boston Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey told The Boston Globe in April 1947, echoing the nation's sentiments as Jackie Robinson made his major-league debut.

But two months into the season, Yawkey gave a follow-up interview in which he once more crystallized the thoughts of white America, saying, "Well, naturally, Robinson is out there running faster, jumping higher, and hitting the ball farther. Blacks are, if nothing else, more athletically gifted than whites. Sports is what they're good at."

This changing viewpoint was soon echoed by notable sports figures, politicians, typical American citizens, Ku Klux Klan members, and University of Kentucky basketball coach Adolph Rupp, who for years had refused to recruit black players because of their alleged unsuitability for athletics. After losing the 1966 NCAA Championship game to an all-black Texas Western team, however, Rupp said that the loss didn't surprise him.

"Blacks have a clear physical advantage over whites because their years of slavery made them genetically stronger and more athletic," Rupp said after the 72-65 defeat. "But they'll never be great doctors and lawyers. They don't have the mental capacity for something like that."

"I'll put it this way," Rupp added. "We'll never see a black head coach, team owner, or president of the United States."

At the time, certain controversial figures also claimed that blacks tended to display a certain talent for music, although most of them admitted that said music was only palatable when interpreted by white American or British artists.

The Onion is at its finest when it just displays a mirror to reality. :D

HisMajestyBOB

Funny, if you replace "African-American" with "Gay" and "white" with "hetero", you get the typical article Marty froths over.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

I recall reading a theory that the most inherently superior humans are New Guineans.
Wheras we white people have a few millenia of farming and sub-par folk breeding they've been stuck as hunter-gatherers in the jungle for all time and hence only the best survive.
So lets hope they don't get atomics.

I don't really get this onion article. Seems fairly like something that could have been written a few decades ago to me.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

The humour (at least for me) comes from the realisation how stupidly racist people were only a few decades ago and, by extension, that many ideas we hold today about race or sexuality or what have you will seem equally silly to people in 50 years or so.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 29, 2009, 09:36:31 AM
Funny, if you replace "African-American" with "Gay" and "white" with "hetero", you get the typical article Marty froths over.

Gays dominate (women's) sports.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 29, 2009, 12:52:52 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 29, 2009, 09:36:31 AM

Gays dominate (women's) sports.

In women's tennis, I always root against the heterosexual.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2009, 12:58:35 PM
In women's tennis, I always root against the heterosexual.

You rooted against Steffi Graf?!  TRAITOR!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on December 29, 2009, 01:10:29 PM
I guess no one except Seedy or Ed will recognize that movie quote.

I never cared for Top Secret that much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch