News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

American captured by North Korea

Started by Razgovory, December 29, 2009, 02:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 08:41:33 AM
I shouldn't have used that analogy as I should have known people would think I was trying to approximate the two events, which I'm not.

My point is that just because someone thinks they are doing good does not mean that they are doing good.  I think this is something society widely agrees with me on, or else we would be freeing and praising people who murder abortion doctors in the name of Jeebus, rather then sending them to prison for life.

Part of my reaction here is that I take a dim view of most missionary activity, especially when they try to mask their intentions by pretending they want to help people.  Missionaries are salesmen for Jesus, Inc.  :)

Some have decent intentions, but the unintentional smugness made me want to smack around most foreign missionaries I met while I was still going to church, particularly the ones to Eritrea: "See how nice we Christianized White Pipple are?  We're so nice you'll just put down your AKs and listen to us for a few minutes because we're protected by GOD!"
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

I spread Love and Forgiveness here at Languish through Good Works and Better Posts.

Neil

If he really wanted to help people, he could have smuggled in food or something.  Converting people to Christianity doesn't help them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Yeah, I'd be reacting differently if he was a Red Cross worker.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Missionaries spread false ideas and superstition. In that, they deserve the punishment of death.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on December 29, 2009, 09:44:25 AM
Missionaries spread false ideas and superstition. In that, they deserve the punishment of death.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Frigging North Korea; let our people go! But for a dirt poor, decrepit concentration camp nation at least they have their borders under control. Something the wealthy superpower US can't even find a clue nor political will to do so.     <_<

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 08:41:33 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2009, 08:37:47 AM
Spreading the word about love and forgiveness equals mass murder now? If the 19 hijackers had simply spread the word about Allah and opened a charity then it would be similar.
\

Part of my reaction here is that I take a dim view of most missionary activity, especially when they try to mask their intentions by pretending they want to help people.  Missionaries are salesmen for Jesus, Inc.  :)
I disagree, missionaries of any faith (with the possible exception of Scientologists) are not salesmen, they are trying to help people. Now whether you believe in their method of aid, is another story.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2009, 10:53:21 AM
I disagree, missionaries of any faith (with the possible exception of Scientologists) are not salesmen, they are trying to help people. Now whether you believe in their method of aid, is another story.
Hate to do this, but I agree with tim. You can't compare the two. Salesmen are often far more devout and honest about their beliefs in what they peddle.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on December 29, 2009, 10:57:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 29, 2009, 10:53:21 AM
Hate to do this, but I agree with tim. You can't compare the two. Salesmen are often far more devout and honest about their beliefs in what they peddle.
:yes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Fate

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on December 29, 2009, 10:51:46 AM
Frigging North Korea; let our people go! But for a dirt poor, decrepit concentration camp nation at least they have their borders under control. Something the wealthy superpower US can't even find a clue nor political will to do so.     <_<

Our borders are alot longer.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jaron

What a bunch of shitheads you people are. Especially you Martinus.
Winner of THE grumbler point.