And we're back!

Main Menu

Cao Cao's Tomb Discovered!

Started by Camerus, December 28, 2009, 08:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2009, 10:02:08 AM
The only way I know who Cao Cao was is from KOEI's "Romance of Three Kingdoms".  :homestar:
That needs updating.
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on December 28, 2009, 02:44:11 PM
Pinyin, the currently used for rendering Chinese into the Roman alphabet, was apparently developed with Russian sensibilities.  In English, the closest spelling would probably be Tsao Tsao.

Which is funny to me, as the Chinese said a while back that we need to say "Beijing" for the capital city, while the Russians still call it "Peking".

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 28, 2009, 11:50:11 PM
Pinyin, the currently used for rendering Chinese into the Roman alphabet, was apparently developed with Russian sensibilities.  In English, the closest spelling would probably be Tsao Tsao.

Which is funny to me, as the Chinese said a while back that we need to say "Beijing" for the capital city, while the Russians still call it "Peking".

I prefer "New Tokyo"
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josquius

Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2009, 08:51:16 AMI must bitch about Chinese language here though; on the news they were pronouncing it Sow Sow. I always thought it was Cow Cow.

Aha, that explains things a bit - but still, making their language more understandable by going through a language just as alien to them as ours and quite alien to us? Illogical.

Doesn't explain what Koei was playing at though
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2009, 09:49:05 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 28, 2009, 08:51:16 AMI must bitch about Chinese language here though; on the news they were pronouncing it Sow Sow. I always thought it was Cow Cow.

Aha, that explains things a bit - but still, making their language more understandable by going through a language just as alien to them as ours and quite alien to us? Illogical.

There you go:

QuoteThe dubbed English voice from the second installment till the fifth incorrectly pronounces Cao Cao's name as "Cow Cow" and of those from the Cao clan as well. The correct pronunciation, according to Wades-Giles romanization, is phonetically similar to "Tsao Tsao", as used in the Warriors Orochi series. The correct pronunciation is used in Dynasty Warriors 6.

Caliga

When will they find Gao Qiu's tomb?  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 11:22:23 AM
When will they find Gao Qiu's tomb?  :)

I want to see Zhuge Liang's. It says they buried him sitting upright in a chair.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Martim Silva

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 28, 2009, 12:34:38 PM
I wonder if the younger chick is one of the Qiao sisters. The age seems off though. He said he wanted to retire and spend the rest of his old age with them, IIRC. I'd love to see the goodies they get out of the tomb. Maybe a little bronze bird will be in there. Wouldn't that be something.  :P

That's more an idea created by the book. IRL, Cao Cao showed little interest for the sisters. Besides, Xiao Qiao's tomb has already been found.

The older woman could be Bian, buried later on after she died. She's the one Cao Cao would have wanted with him after death. The younger girl could be a servant of her, I suppose.

Burying people alive with their rulers, while practised, was not well seen in Cao Cao's days. Sun Quan did that with the concubine of one of his men, and he got badmouthed for it, even at the time.

Besides, Cao Cao cared too much about his women to do that - his will provides specifically for each one, so that excludes the possibility that he wanted or concieved any of them being buried alive with him. Also, he insisted that he wanted a very simple burial, without any fancy stuff.

Quote from: Tyr
Why do Koei do Cow though? Just idiocy or is it the Japanese way- researching myself it seems the Cantonese say something totally different to Tsao.

It's the translators. They used the offical romanization.

The Japanese themselves say the names as they interpret the ideograms, and the result is a total fuck up. Cao Cao is known as 'Moutoku Sousou' in Japan.

The others get similar treatment, to the point you have no idea whatsoever about who they are talking about.

Camerus

Quote from: Tyr on December 29, 2009, 09:49:05 AM

Pinyin is the "official" way of rendering Chinese into English now; virtually nobody - including historians of China, political scientists, etc. - uses Wade-Giles anymore.  Aside from being less accurate than pinyin, W-G also has some unpleasant connotations.  That explains why Koei would also use pinyin.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.