BigBrother UK looking for amputee soldiers for new season

Started by Syt, December 26, 2009, 12:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6968316.ece
QuoteRow as Big Brother targets amputee soldiers

The producers of Big Brother have been criticised for targeting amputee soldiers to appear in the next series.

Veterans' charities have condemned Endemol after they attempted to recruit wounded servicemen and women to appear in the eleventh series of the reality television show.

An email sent to the Army Benevolent Fund from the programme makers said: "As well as the open auditions we always cast the net far and wide. I'd like to politely enquire if any of your members would be interested in BB11?"

ABF spokeswoman Annabelle Fuller said in a newspaper interview: "We're a charity, not a selection box for bad TV programmes. The people we help are often vulnerable."

Endemol reportedly asked the charity for case studies of soldiers who had been made homeless or severely wounded in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Fuller later wrote on her blog: "'How heartless do you have to be to think that putting a homeless person in a house where they face a weekly eviction vote is a good idea?"

Dr Hugh Milroy, chief executive of the Veterans Fund, who also received an e-mail from Endemol, called it a "new low for reality TV".

In a joint statement today Endemol and Channel 4 said: "Big Brother aims to cast the net far and wide to ensure that a diverse range of people get the opportunity to audition and take part in the programme.

"Many different groups and organisations have been approached as they have strong networks within more isolated communities and can help to spread the word about the dates of open auditions."

Big Brother is no stranger to controversy and criticism, having attracted record complaints for a 2007 celebrity version, in which Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty appeared to suffer racist abuse at the hands of fellow housemates, including Jade Goody.

Big Brother 11, which is scheduled to be the last series, will be screened next summer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josquius

At least no one is chopping off their limbs to get on big brother.
As for some fame hungry idiots that wouldn't be too much of a stretch of they could be guarantied a place.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2009, 12:59:12 PM
Well they've been targeted before.
The new medication is making you increasingly funny.  I approve. 
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I'd look forward to a season of everyone pushing each other out of their wheelchairs and beating each other with prosthetics.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Caliga

The cover story in National Geographic this month was about artifical limbs.  This chick from Tennessee has like a complete bionic arm... reminded me of the Terminator's arm sans flesh.  She also has a great set of tits.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2009, 09:01:08 AM
The cover story in National Geographic this month was about artifical limbs.  This chick from Tennessee had like a complete bionic arm... reminded me of the Terminator's arm sans flesh.  She also had a great set of tits.  :cool:

Were they like terminator tits?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

I dunno if they were artificial, as she was: clothed.  I was like "Come on guys, this is NATIONAL GEO-FUCKING-GRAPHIC."  :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grallon on December 29, 2009, 08:55:23 AM
I find this systemic voyeurism revolting.  <_<

Oh bullshit.  We all know being watched turns you on.

Grallon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2009, 09:11:24 AM

Oh bullshit.  We all know being watched turns you on.

There's a distinction between performance and exhibitionism Mister Six Figures. *snifs*

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DGuller

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 27, 2009, 09:44:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2009, 12:59:12 PM
Well they've been targeted before.
The new medication is making you increasingly funny.  I approve.
:yes: Raz is the king of one-liners as of late.