News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Popular misconceptions: wine age

Started by Martinus, December 25, 2009, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, I wish people really learned this shit, since I'm tired of getting a bottle of wine as a gift only to find it has become undrinkable.

People seem to think that every kind of wine gets better the longer it stays in a bottle. It doesn't. Get the memo.  :rolleyes:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2009, 09:36:28 AM
Quote from: katmai on December 25, 2009, 09:35:13 AM
Depends on the wine troglodyte

Elaborate.

Reds can be "aged" better than whites for one. Also depends on how the bottle has been kept will help in determine how well it holds up.

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on December 25, 2009, 09:42:39 AM

Elaborate.

Reds can be "aged" better than whites for one. Also depends on how the bottle has been kept will help in determine how well it holds up.

Imbecile. I want to know why when Mart said that not every wine ages well you had to point out that it depends on the wine. What's up with that?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2009, 09:45:41 AM

Elaborate.

Imbecile. I want to know why when Mart said that not every wine ages well you had to point out that it depends on the wine. What's up with that?

:blush:

It's what I get for reading the board at 4am :lol: er 5am

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2009, 09:21:06 AM
Ok, I wish people really learned this shit, since I'm tired of getting a bottle of wine as a gift only to find it has become undrinkable.

People seem to think that every kind of wine gets better the longer it stays in a bottle. It doesn't. Get the memo.  :rolleyes:
The assumption that they are giving you soured wine by accident is unwarranted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on December 25, 2009, 09:46:54 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2009, 09:45:41 AM

Elaborate.

:blush:

It's what I get for reading the board at 4am :lol: er 5am

PAWNED by my homeboi, Brain. :P

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on December 25, 2009, 10:13:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on December 25, 2009, 09:21:06 AM

The assumption that they are giving you soured wine by accident is unwarranted.
:lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

So who gave you some crappy old wine and how did they think it was a good idea?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

My level of upset-ness over this is directly related to the fact that this was my last bottle of wine (I have some gin left, so I guess I will be reduced to drinking gin and tonic now) and shops won't open until Sunday.  <_<

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on December 25, 2009, 10:46:42 AM
So who gave you some crappy old wine and how did they think it was a good idea?

Some distant friend of mine and his wife, I invited to my birthday. Serves me right for consorting with breeders.

dps

Well, if they had bought it a long time before giving it to you, that's just stupid on their part--or cheap, as in they decided they didn't want it, so they gave it to you in lieu of actually spending any money on you.  OTOH, if they had just bought it, it's the fault of the place they bought it from, which really should know how to properly store their merchandise and how long it stays good.

Ed Anger

At least you didn't get a smelly candle.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: dps on December 25, 2009, 10:54:28 AM
Well, if they had bought it a long time before giving it to you, that's just stupid on their part--or cheap, as in they decided they didn't want it, so they gave it to you in lieu of actually spending any money on you.  OTOH, if they had just bought it, it's the fault of the place they bought it from, which really should know how to properly store their merchandise and how long it stays good.

I suppose it's a former. Could be they also got it as a gift some time ago, and re-gifted thinking "it got better with age. It's wine after all".  :rolleyes: