What the hell were the last two decades?

Started by Josquius, December 24, 2009, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on December 26, 2009, 10:36:23 AM
Wiki to the rescue!

QuoteDespite the well known saying that "All wine improves with age", only a few wines will actually have the ability to significantly improve with age. Master of Wine Jancis Robinson notes that only around the top 10% of all red wine and top 5% of all white wines can improve significantly enough with age to make drinking more enjoyable at 5 years of age than at 1 year of age. Additionally, Robinson estimates, only the top 1% of all wine has the ability to improve significantly after more than a decade. It is her belief that more wine is consumed too old, rather than too young, and that the great majority of wines start to lose appeal and fruitiness after 6 months in the bottle.[2]
In general, wines with a low pH (such as Pinot noir and Sangiovese) have a greater capability of aging. With red wines, a high level of flavor compounds, such as phenolics (most notably tannins), will increase the likelihood that a wine will be able to age. Wines with high levels of phenols include Cabernet Sauvignon, Nebbiolo and Syrah.[1] The white wines with the longest aging potential tends to be those with a high amount of extract and acidity. The acidity in white wines plays a similar role that tannins have with red wines in acting as a preservative. The process of making white wines, which include little to no skin contact, means that white wines have a significantly fewer amounts of phenolic compounds (though barrel fermentation and oak aging can impart some phenols). Similarly, the minimal skin contact with rosé wine limits their aging potential.[2]
After aging at the winery most wood-aged Ports, Sherries, Vins doux naturels, Vins de liqueur, basic level Ice wines and sparkling wines are bottled when the producer feels that they are ready to be consumed. These wines are ready to drink upon release and will not benefit much from aging. Vintage Ports and other bottled-aged Ports & Sherries will benefit from some additional aging, as can vintage Champagne.[1] In 2009, a 184-year-old bottle of Perrier-Jouët was opened and tasted, still drinkable, with notes of "truffles and caramel", according to the experts.[3]

lol.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

sbr

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2009, 10:17:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 25, 2009, 08:17:40 PM
Very sad to see anyone on Languish take that line, even someone like you.
Whats wrong with CCTV?
I for one certainly feel a lot safer if I'm walking home at 3 o'clock in the morning and there are a bunch of cctv cameras in the area than if there'd be none.
The local paper shop had a camera installed outside it a few months ago, after a month or so of it being there they noticed that a lot more old people seemed to come to buy things after dark than they had before. They felt a lot less scared of the kids hanging around outside with a camera watching them.

A private property owner putting cameras on his property to ensure the safety of his property and or customers is fine, in my book.  A governmental big brother putting cameras on every corner for the purpose of watching the general citizenry is not.  I would hope one could see the difference.

Josquius

It being too early to define the 90s:
That is what has brought this up for me. That has long been the excuse for there being nothing stereotypically 90s about. But the 90s were 10 years ago now. We've had 80s nostalgia since the 90s so we've had more than enough time for the 90s to be the past.

Quote from: sbr on December 26, 2009, 11:33:07 AM
A private property owner putting cameras on his property to ensure the safety of his property and or customers is fine, in my book.  A governmental big brother putting cameras on every corner for the purpose of watching the general citizenry is not.  I would hope one could see the difference.
It was a government camera.

Strange you make that distinction, I trust government cameras far more than private ones. With private ones the footage could easily be lost or the camera be conveniently looking the wrong way when the owner wants to break a law, e.g. the infamous Las Vegas beating up rooms you see in movies.
A camera on every corner is the impossible dream.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on December 26, 2009, 11:33:07 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2009, 10:17:01 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 25, 2009, 08:17:40 PM
Very sad to see anyone on Languish take that line, even someone like you.
Whats wrong with CCTV?
I for one certainly feel a lot safer if I'm walking home at 3 o'clock in the morning and there are a bunch of cctv cameras in the area than if there'd be none.
The local paper shop had a camera installed outside it a few months ago, after a month or so of it being there they noticed that a lot more old people seemed to come to buy things after dark than they had before. They felt a lot less scared of the kids hanging around outside with a camera watching them.

What's the difference between putting a police officer on the corner of the street, and a CCTV camera?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Warspite

Can anyone provide a coherent objection to CCTV usage beyond "1984!!!1"? As BB says, it's no more sinister than more constables on the beat.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

Quote from: Warspite on December 26, 2009, 01:44:01 PM
Can anyone provide a coherent objection to CCTV usage beyond "1984!!!1"? As BB says, it's no more sinister than more constables on the beat.
Yeah. Whats weird is a lot of this 'CCTV, gragh! 1984!' stuff comes from the same sectors of the media who also like to bitch about there not being enough bobbies on the beat and crime being out of control these days.
██████
██████
██████

Fate

Police officers objectively favor the white man. Cameras are race neutral, therefore are worse than Communism.

Ed Anger

If you want, I can rant against red light cameras.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on December 26, 2009, 01:48:00 PM
Yeah. Whats weird is a lot of this 'CCTV, gragh! 1984!' stuff comes from the same sectors of the media who also like to bitch about there not being enough bobbies on the beat and crime being out of control these days.

I think many people (me included) are more comfortable with someone surveilling a street in person (though having three cops on every corner would be equally eery) than an anonymous piece of tech equipment.

It's a psychological thing. Besides, if someone mugs you a cop can step in right away. With a camera the perp could be long gone by the time the footage is looked at by authorities - in the case of a city like Vienna that'd mean he could be two countries away.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I dunno, a police officer on every corner would be kind of creepy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 26, 2009, 02:05:06 PM
I think many people (me included) are more comfortable with someone surveilling a street in person (though having three cops on every corner would be equally eery) than an anonymous piece of tech equipment.

It's a psychological thing. Besides, if someone mugs you a cop can step in right away. With a camera the perp could be long gone by the time the footage is looked at by authorities - in the case of a city like Vienna that'd mean he could be two countries away.
Oh yeah, a camera is no substitute for a policeman but the cops can't be everywhere at once. Its a good stand in.
I think they work best as a deterrant rather than a catcher. As you say the guy could be long gone before the police show up and face detection software isn't good enough yet to pick him out of the crowd as he walks down the street a few days later. But still, that there could be this clear evidence of him commiting a crime and a bit of paranoia about just how effective the police response would be, helps work as a deterrant.
I can recall one time where some guy was looking to start a fight with me on the street and I pointed the camera out to him which made him back down (and likely go look for someone else who wasn't right in camera shot)
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I wonder if that would have saved Dguller.  Or Spellus from the third graders.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 26, 2009, 02:19:23 PM
I wonder if that would have saved Dguller.  Or Spellus from the third graders.

Wasn't guller at an ATM?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?