News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PBEM Ethical Question

Started by sbr, December 24, 2009, 03:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Maybe ethical is the wrong word, but I am curious how you feel about asking an opponent to replay a turn. 

I am playing a TOAW3 scenario with a guy from Paradox; I don't know him well, the only interaction we have had is in this game.  We are both new to TOAW and this is my first PBEM game of any sort and I know it is his first TOAW PBEM.

Here's the deal, we are playing the Fall Grun 1938 scenario with me as Germany; the scenario starts with us at peace.  We each made our first turns, then I screwed up on my second.  When my turn started we were still at peace, most of my units were in place; I moved maybe 10% of my 250+ units, then dug the rest in.  When I was finished I saved the game as a regular save, not the save I email.  Somehow or another I screwed something up and lost that save so I had to replay my entire turn, which was easy since I had so little to do.  I loaded the save, made all of the same moves, quit the game and sent it to my opponent.  The problem is I didn't notice that the second time I started the game a random event caused the war to start.  So I wasted an entire turn of being at war by doing nothing.  On my third turn both UK and France DOWed me, I don't know if they would have anyway, or just did it because I did so little the first turn at war.

When he sent the save back to me he mentioned that we were at war, which I thought was strange as I assumed that war would start on my turn, not his.  He didn't do anything other than move a few units and take some artillery shots at me on his turn. 

What do you think, should I just bite the bullet and go with it or would asking about a redo be acceptable?

Tamas

dps

If it was someone I knew, I think I'd explain the situation and ask for a re-do.  With a stranger, I'd bite the bullet.

You might just send him a message to the effect of, "Fuck, I missed seeing the random event.  Oh well, I'll just have to live with having wasted a turn" and he mght offer you a re-do.

Admiral Yi

It's like taking a mulligan when you shank your first tee shot.  You're not cheating, you're conceding the entire match and starting over. 

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Post something funny on Youtube and link it in this thread.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

ulmont

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

sbr

I never really had any thought of asking for a redo but it seemed an interesting enough topic of conversation to start a thread about, especially as I am new to the world of MP PC games.

I was going to send him a message telling him what I did wrong, then I realized he might offer to either start over, or redo the turn, and that I didn't want to put him in that position.  Hopefully I didn't fuck myself over too bad.

@The Brain - I have never posted anything on YouTube, and hopefully I can say that the rest of my life :fingerscrossed:, but this amuses me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

sbr

It ended up not mattering at all.  My opponent conceded on the 13th (out of 20) turn with me holding all of the VP hexes and having destroyed a huge part of the Czech army.  :showoff: