News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Alabama Democrat defecting to the GOP

Started by KRonn, December 23, 2009, 09:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Neil on December 24, 2009, 02:41:43 PM
Maybe if the Democrats did less whining about death panels and that sort of nonsense, more would get done.

Plenty got done. They gutted much of the cost containment in the bill due to Kronn and the Teabaggets bitching about dead grandmas.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 24, 2009, 02:41:43 PM
Maybe if the Democrats did less whining about death panels and that sort of nonsense, more would get done.

Well, it is the Democratic party.  It's not like they are suppose to be effective.  They haven't been effective since 1964.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2009, 02:27:16 PM
No, he has a point.  Complaining about extremists on both sides is at best lazy at worst showing incredible susceptibility to demagoguery.  Demagogues do best when paint their opponents in a bad light.  Seeing everyone in a bad light does not mean you are some kind of enlightened cynic.  It means you are believe the demagogues of both sides to the degree that it has sapped you into inaction.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's also a "my shit doesn't stink" tendency among party loyalists to whitewash their own side's tactics and motivations while demonizing the other's.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 24, 2009, 05:32:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2009, 02:27:16 PM
No, he has a point.  Complaining about extremists on both sides is at best lazy at worst showing incredible susceptibility to demagoguery.  Demagogues do best when paint their opponents in a bad light.  Seeing everyone in a bad light does not mean you are some kind of enlightened cynic.  It means you are believe the demagogues of both sides to the degree that it has sapped you into inaction.

I agree with you to an extent, but there's also a "my shit doesn't stink" tendency among party loyalists to whitewash their own side's tactics and motivations while demonizing the other's.

True, but sometimes you have to pick a side and go in swinging. 

" So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

-Rev 3:16
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 24, 2009, 05:49:41 PM
True, but sometimes you have to pick a side and go in swinging. 

" So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

-Rev 3:16

Jesus says you picked the wrong side. ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 24, 2009, 02:26:22 PM
I think you mean national debt, not deficit.  I also think you're a little confused on the relative magnitudes of stimulus and TARP.
I don't believe I'm wrong on the deficit (not debt).  My understanding is that the fiscal year 2009 goes from October to October for the Federal budget.  The overwhelming amount of new spending in the 2009 deficit came from the last period of Bush's Presidency (and he was right). 

Of the 3.5 trillion budget (and I think 1.4 somethingion deficit) Obama policies like cash for clunkers, CHIP expansion, the amount of the stimulus that has actually been spent thus far (remember that though the stimulus is 780 billion only 180 billion was projected to be spent in 2009, something like 300 billion will be spent in 2010 and then the rest in 2011) and that appropriations bill represents under 5% of the entire government spending in FY09.  The vast majority of new spending that has caused the deficit was buying out banks and Freddie and Fannie and TARP.  But a large part of the deficit was also the shortfall of tax receipts and the expansion of programmes that will, inevitably, expand in a recession such as food stamps and unemployment.

Edit:  On healthcare I love the headline on Gawker, care of Michael Tomasky: News of first major progressive legislation in 30 years enrages liberals :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Interesting.  Where did you get the info on stimulus disbursements from?

:homestar: :yuk: :secret: :yucky:

Fate

:moon:

It can be interpreted in oh so many ways...

MadImmortalMan

Edit:  On healthcare I love the headline on Gawker, care of Michael Tomasky: News of first major progressive legislation in 30 years enrages liberals

Actually, Bush's Medicare part D was the last major progressive legislation in 30 years. That didn't anger liberals nearly as much because we didn't expect anything from Bush but were happy to take whatever scraps could be managed.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 25, 2009, 04:59:49 PM
Edit:  On healthcare I love the headline on Gawker, care of Michael Tomasky: News of first major progressive legislation in 30 years enrages liberals

Actually, Bush's Medicare part D was the last major progressive legislation in 30 years. That didn't anger liberals nearly as much because we didn't expect anything from Bush but were happy to take whatever scraps could be managed.  :P

The AARP was pissed.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on December 25, 2009, 05:34:38 PM

The AARP was pissed.

Weren't they the ones who put out those "it's not perfect but it's better than nothing" sort of ads in favor of it? I know AARP runs their own Part D plans now. They can't hate it that much. I remember Paul Krugman hating it, but it had something to do with Bush, so everyone assumed he would.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

They ended up feeling betrayed by the whole thing.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Actually, Bush's Medicare part D was the last major progressive legislation in 30 years.

Well, that's 1 too many.

Sheilbh

I thought that just spent more money on something, whereas this is you know reform.  I always found that a deeply weird thing though.  Maybe Bush just loves the elderly :mellow:

QuoteSheila reads Gawker? Awful.  :yucky:
No, I read Michael Tomasky :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!