News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama: I did not campaign on the public option

Started by Faeelin, December 23, 2009, 11:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2009, 04:52:30 PM
FYPFY.  The signal to noise ratio on this topic isn't even 1%, but feel free to help the rest of the spinners beat that dead horse if that is what amuses you.  :cool:
Thanks!

dps

Quote from: Valmy on December 23, 2009, 05:02:14 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 23, 2009, 12:42:46 PM
You gotta respect the guy. He pretty much fucked everybody over: the public option, repealing of Don't Ask Don't Tell, Defense of Marriage Act, ending the war in Iraq and/or Afghanistan etc. - he went back on everything.

Yeah I don't remember him promising those things.  I mean not that it matters.  The President does not have the power to do those things without Congress.

He ran on HOPE! and CHANGE! not on any real specifics.  Well, we CHANGEd Presidents, and we HOPE he don't screw up too bad, so we got what he promised.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2009, 04:52:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2009, 01:51:33 PM
We argued at length over the wiggle room left from his West Point speech.  This argument over campaign promises is brand new old and fresh boring.
FYPFY.  The signal to noise ratio on this topic isn't even 1%, but feel free to help the rest of the spinners beat that dead horse if that is what amuses you.  :cool:

I try my best. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Read my lips: no public option!

I did not campaign on that option, the public.

So much for hope and change.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

citizen k

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2009, 07:05:08 PM

When will you change, The Brain?

grumbler

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2009, 06:07:34 PM
He ran on HOPE! and CHANGE! not on any real specifics.  Well, we CHANGEd Presidents, and we HOPE he don't screw up too bad, so we got what he promised.
That's kinda what I think, as well.  By this time in the last Presidency, we didn't even have the hope, let alone not having the change.

I think people who are disappointed in Obama had unrealistic hopes for his Presidency.  For a guy with no significant experience in national politics and no clear idea what he wants to do as President, Obama hasn't been too bad.  I'd say that, at the almost-one-year point, the last President I thought was doing better was pappa Bush.  I am still on wait-and-see as to whether Obama can become an effective President; he is smart enough to learn on the job.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

I hope Obama changes..... <_<

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on December 23, 2009, 01:36:25 PM
Quote from: Fate on December 23, 2009, 01:32:12 PMShall we start linking Newsmax as well? Media Matters is not a neutral source when it comes to liberal boilerplate issues.

Oh righteous sage, what source linking to media events is acceptable?
Fate has no knowledge or opinions of note about anything.  He is not fit to judge appropriate venues for liberal discourse.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2009, 08:07:08 PM
I think people who are disappointed in Obama had unrealistic hopes for his Presidency.
I agree.  I think the complaint about a lack of change is very odd though.  I mean how much more did they want the administration to do in a year: very close to universal coverage, new strategy and more troops in Afghanistan, large economic stimulus and a cap-and-trade bill completed in the House (apparently Graham, McCain, Snowe and Collins are still keen on passing an environmental bill so the Senate might cobble something together).

Now I can't think of any President that's had as significant a first year in a long time.  I mean in terms of legislation healthcare reform is probably the most significant single domestic piece of lawmaking since, I don't know, Clean Air Act?  Welfare Reform?  Reagan tax cuts?
Let's bomb Russia!

citizen k

Quote from: Neil on December 23, 2009, 08:17:24 PM
He is not fit to judge appropriate venues for liberal discourse.

Indeed. Fate is actually  a right-wing nutjob posing as a liberal idealogue impersonating a conservative blowhard.   :blink:

Neil

Quote from: citizen k on December 23, 2009, 11:48:27 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 23, 2009, 08:17:24 PM
He is not fit to judge appropriate venues for liberal discourse.

Indeed. Fate is actually  a right-wing nutjob posing as a liberal idealogue impersonating a conservative blowhard.   :blink:
And, even more importantly, he is a retard.

Caliga

CC is mindful of the Fate Rule, but apparently not everyone else is.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: citizen k on December 23, 2009, 07:46:39 PM

When will you change, The Brain?

I fear change.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2009, 08:07:08 PM
Quote from: dps on December 23, 2009, 06:07:34 PM
That's kinda what I think, as well.  By this time in the last Presidency, we didn't even have the hope, let alone not having the change.

I think people who are disappointed in Obama had unrealistic hopes for his Presidency.  For a guy with no significant experience in national politics and no clear idea what he wants to do as President, Obama hasn't been too bad.  I'd say that, at the almost-one-year point, the last President I thought was doing better was pappa Bush.  I am still on wait-and-see as to whether Obama can become an effective President; he is smart enough to learn on the job.

Indeed.

I am cautiously optimistic that this is happening - after all, what would the effect on his left wing base be of him backing away from the promises that got him elected and taking a much more careful approach to issues he is largely out of his depth on?

Yep - massive crying and wailing about them being betrayed by someone who was not nearly as radically stupid as the loony left hoped.

He is like the anti-Dubya in his first year.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned