News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dvd drive issues

Started by Sahib, December 21, 2009, 09:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sahib

It stopped working. Then it come back to life. Then stopped working again, but at the moment is working fine. What's going on and should I worry?
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

DontSayBanana

Desktop or laptop?  Desktop DVD drives are so cheap now that when they die, it just makes more sense to replace them.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Yeah, I'd plop down the $25 & replace it rather than spend any time troubleshooting.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sahib

It's a laptop thought, and replacing would void the guaranty.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Grey Fox

Have you tried to clean it ? When it stop working, what does it mean? Stops turning? Stop reading dvds but cds still work? Other way around?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sahib

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2009, 07:55:20 AM
Have you tried to clean it ? When it stop working, what does it mean? Stops turning? Stop reading dvds but cds still work? Other way around?

It wouldn't open or read discs.  I had to open it manually using that little hole thing.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Josquius

Sounds like a loose wire to me. But you've opened it you say so seems not...very odd.
██████
██████
██████

Sahib

Yeah and it actually works right now... just installed Office from CD.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever