Gay marriage becomes legal in: Mexico City

Started by Caliga, December 21, 2009, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

:jaron:  :)

QuoteMexico City legalizes same-sex marriage, adoptions
December 21, 2009 8:41 p.m. EST

(CNN) -- Mexico City, one of Latin America's largest metropolises, on Monday legalized same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples.

By a vote of 39 to 20, the city's legislative assembly approved revisions to the civil code to permit same-sex marriages. Five legislators abstained.

In a separate motion, the assembly voted 31 to 24 in favor of legalizing adoption by same-sex couples, with nine abstentions.

The revision will change the definition of marriage to a union between two people, instead of the current version, which specifies a union between a man and a woman.

Civil groups in favor and opposed to the vote had gathered since early in the morning outside the legislative building.

In 2007, the legislators approved same-sex civil unions.

Mexico City is the second major Latin American city to legalize same-sex marriage.

In November, a Buenos Aires, Argentina, court legalized same-sex marriages. The first marriage to be held under the new law, however, was delayed over legal wrangling in the courts.

CNN en EspaƱol's Rey Rodriguez contributed to this report.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

Now Marty and Neil can at last seal the deal on years of internet flirting.
PDH!

Jaron

WTF we talk about mexico city and for some reason MY face comes up?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

The board is racist against Mexicans in that it lacks any emoticon directly referencing them.  Therefore I was forced to use an icon depicting a Mexican-American.  :)

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

citizen k

Quote from: Jaron on December 21, 2009, 09:12:10 PM
WTF we talk about mexico city and for some reason MY face comes up?

Tell me of your homeworld, Jaron.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Jaron, Jaron, Jaron... this thread isn't about you, hon, it's about Mexican homos.  :hug:

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: citizen k on December 21, 2009, 09:28:48 PM

Ah, you should have seen it, that old planet. The second sun would rise in the south, the mountains would shine. The leaves on the trees were silver. When they caught the light every morning, they lit the forest on fire, under a burnt orange sky...

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on December 21, 2009, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: citizen k on December 21, 2009, 09:28:48 PM
Ah, you should have seen it, that old planet. The second sun would rise in the south, the mountains would shine. The leaves on the trees were silver. When they caught the light every morning, they lit the forest on fire, under a burnt orange sky...
Did the second sun set in the north, or did it just sort of nip over the horizon and then back under?

Also, a silver leaf would be extremely disadvantageous.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

BuddhaRhubarb

Mexican Gay weddings would be El FreakyDeaky!
:p

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2009, 10:23:06 PM
Or :timmay:
Tim's a Puerto Rican.  Are you trying to say Puerto Ricans are the same as Mexicans?  Raciss.

Josquius

So does this mean Mexico is better than the US now?
██████
██████
██████