Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
Friendly wager on my total return?
No, I don't have a good handle on figures.  But I'm curious, what kind of return are you expecting?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on March 09, 2016, 03:32:22 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
Friendly wager on my total return?
No, I don't have a good handle on figures.  But I'm curious, what kind of return are you expecting?

They say expected return for my risk profile is 8.83.  Historical range 6.95 to 9.95.

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

AT&T edges past 39.  Thinking about unloading some shares if it hits 40.

Warren has already cut back his holdings.

MadImmortalMan

All the risk talk is getting to me. I mean, maybe these decades of low interest and QE really are akin to over-prescribing antibiotics and we're all gonna get hit with a super-resistant flu.

It seems like the obvious thing to do keeps getting postponed. I wish I could sit down and talk to Paul Volcker right now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

It seems to be that the underlying problem is a lack of demand. Too much money in the hands of people who simply won't spend it. People already in debt are expected to ride to the rescue by borrowing and spending even more, but their financial position is already dreadful. Low interest and QE have helped people who already have money to increase the value of their holdings, but austerity has also reduced our faith in the state so people cling on to these gains to insure against disaster. I think the ageing of the population plays an important role in this, older people are more cautious with money because the prospect of being old with no money is just too horrible to contemplate.

Admiral Yi

Big jump in SQ today, can't find any news that's driving it.  I'm up 30%, toying with the idea of cashing out, either in whole or in part.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 21, 2016, 06:12:34 PM
Big jump in SQ today, can't find any news that's driving it.  I'm up 30%, toying with the idea of cashing out, either in whole or in part.

Go to finance.google.com and pull up the stock symbol.  They have a little pertinent news feed on the upper right side.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 21, 2016, 07:25:23 PM
Go to finance.google.com and pull up the stock symbol.  They have a little pertinent news feed on the upper right side.

Thanks.

Looks like the rise was driven by folks covering their shorts.

Should I be glad the market beat up the short sellers, or should I worry they were shorting 37% of the float?

Admiral Yi

Sold off about 1/3 my SQ stake when it hit 15 (bought in at 10.25).  I think that might be the most emotionally satisfying thing to do with a stock that has a big appreciation in a short time frame, take your winnings off the table and leave your original stake.

Put those winnings and proceeds from iShares midcap index fund (which was doing nothing for 4 years) into Sketchers, the shoe company.

Admiral Yi

My first big tranche of LendingClub payments came in today.  They were all due 4/7 and I had been sweating the last couple days thinking my entire portfolio was lent to Greeks.  The fact they all came in the same day suggests to me that it takes 4 business days for the payments to post to my account.  That seems more reasonable than 125 people all making their late payment on exactly the same day.

So far I've made 38.78 on 5K down.

Admiral Yi

Ruh-ro.  My first two officially late payments.

DGuller

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014