Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Fun fact Mono, GE has been a component of the Dow Jones 100 since its inception.

Anyone else own Wally World?  They've been in a death spiral, starting approximately the time it was announced Amazon had a higher market valuation than they did.  I've given back all my gains since I bought in at the trough of the Greatest Recession Evah.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2015, 01:48:31 PM
Fun fact Mono, GE has been a component of the Dow Jones 100 since its inception.

I've heard that it is the only company left  :ph34r:

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2015, 05:45:43 PM

It's very hard to track corporations like that.  They're not human beings that are either alive or dead, they mutate continuously.  A lot of the old companies have morphed one way or another into other entities.

Richard Hakluyt

A lot of oil companies are going very cheap right now, meanwhile Saudi Arabia looks shaky, I think that the oil majors are a good long term investment.

Monoriu

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 23, 2015, 01:24:09 AM
A lot of oil companies are going very cheap right now, meanwhile Saudi Arabia looks shaky, I think that the oil majors are a good long term investment.

Ok, Chevron then.  Will also double down on CNOOC in my main HK effort. 

Richard Hakluyt

My theory is that either the oil price will recover and oil shares will rise, or that the oil price will not recover leading to political turmoil in producer states and an increase in the oil price. Meanwhile the yields on Shell and BP are about 7%. A pity that cashflow is a bit weak in the Hakluyt household right now, though I did buy £10k of RDSB at £15-something with my personal cash a couple of weeks back  :cool:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 23, 2015, 02:01:00 AM
My theory is that either the oil price will recover and oil shares will rise, or that the oil price will not recover leading to political turmoil in producer states and an increase in the oil price. Meanwhile the yields on Shell and BP are about 7%. A pity that cashflow is a bit weak in the Hakluyt household right now, though I did buy £10k of RDSB at £15-something with my personal cash a couple of weeks back  :cool:

You forgot one thing. Leverage risk causing consolidation. Drillers and producers in heavy debt not making the cash flow anymore will keep going broke for a while, allowing their assets to be bought up by the survivors. That's going to mean better market share for those left standing, which will be the big guys with deep pockets. Exxon, Chevron, Shell, Total and BP aren't going to go bust. They are going to end up owning the assets of people like Wildcat Drilling Inc.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Shell just had to write off $7 billion (billion with a b) for Arctic drilling.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2015, 05:35:43 PM
Shell just had to write off $7 billion (billion with a b) for Arctic drilling.

Yes, in a way it is perhaps surprising how well the share price holds up. But they are maintaining the dividend and have the "deep pockets" that MIM mentions.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on October 22, 2015, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 22, 2015, 05:45:43 PM

It's very hard to track corporations like that.  They're not human beings that are either alive or dead, they mutate continuously.  A lot of the old companies have morphed one way or another into other entities.

Don't you have organization numbers in America?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2015, 05:16:50 AM
Ok, I have received the dividends and interests, and it is time to buy again.

I have Century Tel, General Electric, HCP, Mattel, Philip Morris, AT&T, Royal Dutch Shell, Mid Cap ETF and S&P500 ETF. 

Any recommendations?  I can pick three this time.

How about some highly speculative biotech or 3D printing startups?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 29, 2015, 01:34:12 PM

By the time they have an IPO they're no longer so speculative.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah, if you want to try putting some money in VC try AngelList.

Be very careful.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 29, 2015, 01:34:12 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 20, 2015, 05:16:50 AM
Ok, I have received the dividends and interests, and it is time to buy again.

I have Century Tel, General Electric, HCP, Mattel, Philip Morris, AT&T, Royal Dutch Shell, Mid Cap ETF and S&P500 ETF. 

Any recommendations?  I can pick three this time.

Nah, I am not that type.  I am the AT&T, cash cow, blue chip, dividend queen, buy and forget type. 

Admiral Yi

I was thinking about AT&T and their monster dividend and decided it's basically a bet that no new technology will come along to make cell phones obsolete.