Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

S&P trying to hold 2000 today. Might not make it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

I decided to bet on oil being oversold and bought stocks 7 minutes before the close at the 52-week low.  Catch falling knives!  :D

MadImmortalMan

Added to my position in DIS this morning. The crash was over almost immediately though.

Tonitrus

Yeah, I am in that mode of waffling between panic selling and "should I just ride it out".  :P

Fortunately, I had sold off my major holdings in AAPL and SBUX a couple weeks ago, and mostly have a lot of a dividend-heavy stocks (which still also are getting clobbered", so my inkling is to just let it ride, collect dividends, and hope for recovery.  :(

MadImmortalMan

For options expiring this week, the put volume is maybe ten times the calls. And the price spread is pretty big. People are paying up for short-term insurance.

Monoriu

I've been holding some of the stocks that I own for like 15 years, and I am not going to sell.  I can't remember the number of crashes that I've been through already.  I love crashes.  Every time there is a crash, I buy more. 

Phillip V

I bought some AGNC this morning @ $19.  Ex-dividend date in a few days, and lower U.S. Treasuries = higher book value?

Admiral Yi

Are the analysts saying this is a reaction to China and other international crap?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2015, 08:27:00 PM
Are the analysts saying this is a reaction to China and other international crap?

They're blaming China, yes.

Monoriu

China, yes.  For the past two decades, that China is growing at a quick pace can be regarded as a fundamental economic truth.  But now, the inevitable slowdown happens.  The question is, is this part of a normal business cycle, or has China hit a ceiling without political reforms? 

China's slowdown is very obvious to us living in HK.  The number of mainland tourists has decreased, and they spend less.  The retail scene is ugly.  To let signs everywhere.  Restaurants are far less busy.  Everybody are doing discount sales.  The luxury brands are retreating, their flagship stores closing.  When I go to China, the hotels are empty.  Macau (basically China's Las Vegas) is now having -20% GDP growth.  No, the zero is not a typo. 

alfred russel

Communist China hiccups and capital markets shudder in fear. What has the capitalist west come to?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2015, 09:08:24 PM
Communist China hiccups and capital markets shudder in fear. What has the capitalist west come to?

Come to do business in China.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

A round-eyed man can never truly understand China.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

Quote from: Monoriu on August 24, 2015, 09:05:30 PM

China, yes.  For the past two decades, that China is growing at a quick pace can be regarded as a fundamental economic truth.  But now, the inevitable slowdown happens.  The question is, is this part of a normal business cycle, or has China hit a ceiling without political reforms? 

China's slowdown is very obvious to us living in HK.  The number of mainland tourists has decreased, and they spend less.  The retail scene is ugly.  To let signs everywhere.  Restaurants are far less busy.  Everybody are doing discount sales.  The luxury brands are retreating, their flagship stores closing.  When I go to China, the hotels are empty.  Macau (basically China's Las Vegas) is now having -20% GDP growth.  No, the zero is not a typo.

Wow, looks pretty tough going right now. Is there talk of a recession looming? I don't think anyone knows yet if this is long term or a short hit, but from the little I've seen reported it does seem that the Chinese government has been helping prop up the economy quite significantly and that all is starting to implode a bit. Kind of like the US Treasury printing money that helps prop up the stock market and any news of the Feds increasing interest rates even a little sends some waves through the market. And I think talk of such increases, possibly in a month or so, have added to fears over the Chinese stock market hits and added to the US market's woes.