Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Yeah, that's a good point.  If it's possible to earn excessive profits in a market, then you better not enter that market unless you know how to get those excessive profits.  Otherwise you'll be the one on whose back excessive profits are being made.

The Minsky Moment

Yi the entire banking system was on the verge of insolvency in the early half of last decade; the central authorities simply recapitalized the banks.  At one point ICBC had an NPL ratio around 20%.  Now they are the largest bank in the world by market cap.  So yes the state can make success if it really wants to.

One question I would ask w/r/t MIMs top 10 list is: what is the free float? 
And who owns/controls it?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2015, 12:47:19 PM
Yi the entire banking system was on the verge of insolvency in the early half of last decade; the central authorities simply recapitalized the banks.  At one point ICBC had an NPL ratio around 20%.  Now they are the largest bank in the world by market cap.  So yes the state can make success if it really wants to.

I thought we were talking about engineering profitability.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2015, 12:47:19 PM

One question I would ask w/r/t MIMs top 10 list is: what is the free float? 
And who owns/controls it?

I was curious why you were worried about the insolvency of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia, given that it's a Crown Corporation... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 08, 2015, 12:49:04 PM
I thought we were talking about engineering profitability.

Well ICBC turned a profit of RMB 275 billion  last year; I'll leave it open as to what extent the state had influence on that result.

But what we are really talking about are stock prices and how they are determined.
The question I asked - half rhetorically - is about the ownership and extent of free float - half rhetorically because I can't figure it out and suspect it may be unknown, half not because maybe some one does.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Just heard on CNBC that Elon Must said at the Tesla shareholder meeting he expects Tesla to grow by 50% a year.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2015, 03:32:32 PM
Just heard on CNBC that Elon Must said at the Tesla shareholder meeting he expects Tesla to grow by 50% a year.
:hmm: For how many years?

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Also, apparently one of the shareholders inquired about the possibility of building a vegan Tesla.  :lol:

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2015, 03:32:32 PM
Well what else is he gonna say? :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

New HSBC bonds are now available for sale.  Yield is 4.5%.  Minimum investment is very accessible at only US$2k.  The only problem is that the maturity date is 2042 :bleeding:

Should I take the plunge?  :unsure:

Ed Anger

The market is giving me the queasies now. The bubble is gonna pop.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 11, 2015, 06:00:27 AM
New HSBC bonds are now available for sale.  Yield is 4.5%.  Minimum investment is very accessible at only US$2k.  The only problem is that the maturity date is 2042 :bleeding:

Should I take the plunge?  :unsure:

No.  I wouldn't want to be stuck with QE interest rates when the Fed starts to raise rates.