Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 13, 2015, 04:32:12 AM
:lol: @ Jim Cramer wearing his Apple watch alongside his really very nice Breitling.
I'm sure he's been paid to wear one, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

That and he's got a major boner for their stock.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

I have found sometimes that going back at looking at stocks I have held in the past (that I had sold for a small, tidy profit at the time, and are now worth even far more if I had held on to them), is a lot like looking back at past relationships.

So much lost potential.  :(

Admiral Yi

Do you keep a written record of every stock you sold and the price you sold it at?

Kind of obsessive sounding.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 22, 2015, 03:21:25 PM
Do you keep a written record of every stock you sold and the price you sold it at?

Kind of obsessive sounding.

No.  I was just going through some of my older brokerage statements (mainly to try and look at overall returns for some of my long-term stuff), and saw an old stock I had, and was like "I wonder how that is doing now?  Ah shit".

Basically just like a random Facebook stalking of a person one used to know.  :P

MadImmortalMan

Mono, can you explain what is going down with the HK and Shenzhen exchanges? I've heard they are merging and a bunch of the rules will change.

I'm thinking of shorting something like CNXT or some other ETF that's as close as I can get to focusing solely on the Shenzhen stocks. I don't know what Hong Kong getting into the mix will do to that though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 23, 2015, 03:42:57 PM
Mono, can you explain what is going down with the HK and Shenzhen exchanges? I've heard they are merging and a bunch of the rules will change.

I'm thinking of shorting something like CNXT or some other ETF that's as close as I can get to focusing solely on the Shenzhen stocks. I don't know what Hong Kong getting into the mix will do to that though.

No, they are not merging.  I think it is like what has already happened between the Shanghai and HK exchanges.  Basically, the agreement allows me, a HK resident, to buy shares in the Shanghai exchange directly.  No need to open an account with a Shanghai broker.  I just log on to my existing bank account, and there is an option to pick any company listed on the Shanghai stock exchange to buy it.  Of course, it goes both ways and Shanghainese people can also buy HK shares.  I think they are now trying to expand the agreement to also cover Shenzhen. 

MadImmortalMan

Looks like I'm frontrunning Bill Gross on Shenzhen.

At the very least I'd stay out of China right now. Valuations are nuts.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Totally nuts.  I'm beginning to think that stuff about Chinese being good with money is BS.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2015, 02:12:52 PM
Totally nuts.  I'm beginning to think that stuff about Chinese being good with money is BS.

Who said that Chinese are good with money?   :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2015, 04:17:13 PM
You want names?

I always want names.  I don't think I have a category that titled "People who think the Chinese are good with money".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Bill, Frank, Jane.

It is commonly acknowledged, particularly in the context of discussing the Chinese diaspora, that Chinese possess good business acumen (perhaps not identical to being good with money, but close).