Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Ed Anger

Needs a sound board and an excitable bald guy to go with those picks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Was giving some thought to buying Chipotle until I learned the share price is  $633.  :blink:

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 05, 2015, 10:08:37 AM
Was giving some thought to buying Chipotle until I learned the share price is  $633.  :blink:
Good things cost good money.

Ed Anger

Whenever Piada Italian Street Food does an IPO, I'm jumping in like a mad dog.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

Considering picking up CYS Investments Inc (CYS) if it dips back down a bit more, to around 8.50.  (Div/yield   0.30/13.54,   EPS 2.04)

Big fan of dividend stocks all of a sudden......  Anyone know anything about it or care to take a glance at it? 
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Monoriu

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 05, 2015, 11:26:02 PM
Considering picking up CYS Investments Inc (CYS) if it dips back down a bit more, to around 8.50.

Big fan of dividend stocks all of a sudden......  Anyone know anything about it or care to take a glance at it?

I am a big fan of dividend stocks.  My preference is to buy these stocks and hold them until retirement.  So far I like it.  It is like having an additional worker in our household.  AT&T seems like a good US stock for this purpose.  I also hold Philip Morris, some REIT, etc.  Even if the market dips, I can ignore it and continue to collect dividends. 

Tonitrus

For those kind of dividend stocks, do you take the cash, or automatic reinvesting?

My brokerage account is defaulted to auto-reinvesting, which seems like a sound idea (more stock, no transaction fee)...but I'm wondering if that may be iffy if it's simply a high-dividend stock in an uncertain company vs. a major, established corporation.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 05, 2015, 11:26:02 PM
Considering picking up CYS Investments Inc (CYS) if it dips back down a bit more, to around 8.50.  (Div/yield   0.30/13.54,   EPS 2.04)

But on your question, Alci, I am personally kinda wary of these high-dividend stocks that invest in mortgage-back securities (AGNC was another I think we've talked about awhile back), and their long-term prospects.  They give me that "fly-by-night" high risk kinda feeling. :hmm:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 06, 2015, 12:09:12 AM
For those kind of dividend stocks, do you take the cash, or automatic reinvesting?

My brokerage account is defaulted to auto-reinvesting, which seems like a sound idea (more stock, no transaction fee)...but I'm wondering if that may be iffy if it's simply a high-dividend stock in an uncertain company vs. a major, established corporation.

I take the cash option.  We have lot sizes in Hong Kong.  I cannot just say, I want to buy 298,487 shares of this company.  Each company decides its own lot size.  HSBC has decided, for whatever reason, that its standard lot size in Hong Kong is 400.  So I can only trade multiples of 400 shares.  I *can* buy 100 HSBC shares, but at a price penalty (around 10-20%).  So I don't want the reinvest option because that will give me odd lots, i.e. shares not in the proper lot sizes. 

Alcibiades

I was considering just taking the dividends out for cash from CYS, mortgage related stocks make me nervous as well .  BKCC, my other dividend stock, i re-invest.  But that company invests in "middle market companies" not mortgages.

I'm pretty sure someone on here brought BKCC to my attention :hmm:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

I'm taking my (currently shitty) AGNC dividend as cash.  That's the only one I'm not reinvesting.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2015, 10:23:14 AM
Enornoc, a company I bought shares in as a long term venture type play, got a 25% bump from an announcement they were partnering with Tesla on battery something something.  :w00t:

That bump was on a price that had been seriously tanking however.

And now it's all gone.  :lol:

Caliga

Back in the day I owned stock in a company called Digital Angel.  They made tracking chips you could implant in dogs, kids, etc. in case they were lost or stolen.

One day they were profiled on the Today Show.  The stock skyrocketed so much that if I had sold at market close that day, I would have made $30,000 profit.  Unfortunately, I was very busy at work that day and had no time to check my portfolio, and didn't have any sort of price alerts set up on my account.

A few days later I realized what had happened and checked the stock.  It had dropped so much since then that I was only able to sell it at like 250% profit, which I guess was still good... but if only I hadn't been distracted at work!!!  :ultra:

Needless to say I now have price alerts on my positions. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 06, 2015, 10:32:34 AM
I was considering just taking the dividends out for cash from CYS, mortgage related stocks make me nervous as well .  BKCC, my other dividend stock, i re-invest.  But that company invests in "middle market companies" not mortgages.

I'm pretty sure someone on here brought BKCC to my attention :hmm:

Someone did.  I put a sizable amount into BKCC as well.

I'd consider some of those high-dividend mortgage stocks for the cash dividend, but my crappy USAA brokerage account seems to default to re-invest everything, and there is no easy way to change that.  :mad: