Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 02, 2015, 02:48:07 PM
All this sideways movement is annoying. It just melts away the time premium.

I love sideway movements.  If the market stays stagnant, my retirement plan will work.

Admiral Yi

200 more shares of T.

Took a look at preferred stocks.  The higher yields are heavily dominated by energy companies.  :ph34r:

MadImmortalMan

This etf for dividends looks pretty good. SDIV about 23 bucks. Yield over 6. I think I'll put some of the retirement money there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Since I'm looking at the retirement accounts, I should mention that the best mutual funds in there have been Fidelity New Millennium and American Century Midcap Value fund. Earning 55% and 59% respectively. Tickers FMILX and ACMVX.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2015, 02:15:35 PM
200 more shares of T.

Took a look at preferred stocks.  The higher yields are heavily dominated by energy companies.  :ph34r:

I really hate the American pricing system.  Each share is so expensive.  A share of T costs US$33-34 or so.  The price per share is usually quite high. 

In HK, the price of the blue chip stocks is usually between HK$1-100, or US$0.2-US$15.  The mainland Chinese banks for example are usually priced at below US$1 per share.  ICBC, the bank with the higest capitalisation, is priced at around US$0.7 per share. 

What this means in practice is that I can yell "I just bought TEN THOUSAND shares of ICBC" rather than "I just bought two hundred shares of T".  See, the former is much more bombastic and cool  :cool:

Admiral Yi

I used to own FIFTEEN THOUSAND shares of a bullshit Canadian penny stock, but then I sold TEN THOUSAND shares and only have FIVE THOUSAND left.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2015, 06:59:31 PM
I used to own FIFTEEN THOUSAND shares of a bullshit Canadian penny stock, but then I sold TEN THOUSAND shares and only have FIVE THOUSAND left.

:lol:

But ICBC is not a penny stock.  It is probably *the* bank with the highest capitalisation in the world right now.  Or one of the highest. 

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2015, 06:59:31 PM
I used to own 1.86 million shares of a bullshit penny stock, but then it did a gigantic reverse split.  Now I own 7. :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I never could pull the trigger on a penny stock. Instead, I bury silver in the yard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2015, 08:42:30 PM
I never could pull the trigger on a penny stock. Instead, I bury silver in the yard.
You're much better off.

The Brain

Your yard must be a regular Potosí by now.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2015, 08:55:08 PM
You're much better off.

I have a couple penny stocks that are worse off than being buried...but they're at the point where there is no point in selling them, and one of them (a bio-pharm company) has a glimmer of prospect in turning around in a big way.

Admiral Yi

Market has been taking a beating last couple days.

Caliga

Admiral Yi

Digging out of the hole.  :)

If anyone comes across an article with a reasonable explanation for these periodic 5% downswings, I'd be interested in reading it.