Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Honestly, I have only actually voted a couple times. The last one was the Kinder-Morgan re-organization.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 10, 2015, 03:23:53 AM
Honestly, I have only actually voted a couple times. The last one was the Kinder-Morgan re-organization.

I probably own like 0.000000000000000001% in many different companies.  I just don't see the point at all.  Plus, all of my shares are parked in a bank, and the bank has never asked me anything related to voting.  Not that I care. 

MadImmortalMan

You don't get the voting packets in the mail?

I get them all the time.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 10, 2015, 03:31:49 AM
You don't get the voting packets in the mail?

I get them all the time.

I certainly don't.  I think HK's system is that the bank act as my "nominee" to deal with these things.  So the votes and packets go to the bank, and they vote for us.  I've read somewhere that investors have to open a separate individual account with some public authority to genuinely become a separate shareholder.  It can be done, but it is far too much work for nothing.  Most people who open those accounts do so to avoid a situation where, if their stock broker goes bankrupt, they'll lose their shares, not for voting rights.

Monoriu

I think during the 08 financial crisis, there was an effort by HSBC to get the HK shareholders to vote.  HSBC is a favourite of local HK retail investors, and a lot of people hold shares in the company for decades, passing the shares from generation to generation.  But the international hedge fund investors are the only ones who vote, and they give the HSBC management hellish times.  Their solution was to push for the silent majority HK shareholders to say something, because the bank believe that we take a more long term view. 

I love HSBC, but sorry, I am not getting involved in your disputes with the hedge funds. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on February 10, 2015, 03:18:50 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2015, 03:10:29 AM
I think Bs are nonvoting.

:lmfao:  As if share voting rights mean anything to retail investors.

The price differential between classes of shares does  ;)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I get mine electronically, except for the Canadian penny stock, which came in the mail.

Monoriu

One of my bonds will mature next week, and I am not inclined to buy another bond due to the low yields. 

I am thinking of buying more US shares.  I already own AT&T shares.  What else is good?  I am really only interested in big companies, preferrably those that pay nice dividends. 

Monoriu

The companies that I am considering are HCP, Mattel, Philip Morris and TECO energy.  I can pick two.  My gut instinct is Philiip Morris first, because people smoke during recessions, even if they don't buy toys for their kids.  But Philip Morris also offers the lowest dividend among these four  <_<

Caliga

I like energy stocks.

re: HCP... I also like REITs and have a large position in one at the moment.

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2015, 06:16:58 AM
I like energy stocks.

re: HCP... I also like REITs and have a large position in one at the moment.

HCP and Philip Morris then? 

Caliga

Monoriu

Grey Fox

I know a guy, works @ Ubisoft, who owns a couple hundred shares of Apple. Brought them to Salary negotiation once apparently.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.