Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

American is going to give me ulcers. <_<  The bankruptcy was very good for me, but the volatility of the stock right now is nerve-wracking.

BTW, in case you fellow Blackrock Kelso fans aren't aware, their next earnings report, and probably dividend announcement, is Thursday.

Alcibiades

What are you thinking we are going to see?   :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

To those who claim you cannot consistently beat the market, explain this.

Grey Fox

Berkshire has a 201k share price?!?!?!? That is not a lot of issued shares.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadImmortalMan

I don't think they ever split. Buffett likes to have his investors really believe in it, and the high price weeds out the fast movers and the less-committed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 14, 2014, 11:28:17 AM

Who is the "you" directed to?
I don't think Warren Buffet is a languish member.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ancient Demon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 14, 2014, 03:42:13 PM
I don't think they ever split. Buffett likes to have his investors be rich, and the high price weeds out the poor.

FYP  :cool:
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

DGuller

Why can't somebody just create an ETF consisting solely of Berkshire shares, to get around the absurdly high price?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2014, 03:52:03 PM

The "you" isn't directed at anyone.  It's a stand-in for people who think there exist investments that consistently outperform the market.  Several people on this board, Mono in particular, think this is impossible.  By that chart, though, it appears someone who invests all their money in Berkshire will consistently outperform every market index in existence.  Thus, I was asking those who claim beating the market consistently in the long term is impossible to explain how Buffet and his investors are doing just that.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2014, 05:22:37 PM
Why can't somebody just create an ETF consisting solely of Berkshire shares, to get around the absurdly high price?

I'm not aware of any reason.  As far as I know, a fund manager can choose whatever equity investments they want, subject to restrictions imposed by those who created the fund.

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 16, 2014, 05:33:17 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2014, 03:52:03 PM

The "you" isn't directed at anyone.  It's a stand-in for people who think there exist investments that consistently outperform the market.  Several people on this board, Mono in particular, think this is impossible.  By that chart, though, it appears someone who invests all their money in Berkshire will consistently outperform every market index in existence.  Thus, I was asking those who claim beating the market consistently in the long term is impossible to explain how Buffet and his investors are doing just that.
The standard answer is that it's impossible to expect to beat it.  In hindsight you can always find stocks that outperformed (and underperformed) the market.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2014, 05:37:54 PM
The standard answer is that it's impossible to expect to beat it.  In hindsight you can always find stocks that outperformed (and underperformed) the market.

I don't buy that.  The nature of what a market indices represent and the existence of investments that consistently beat their performance indicates that there will exist in the future other investments that will do the same.  If someone were able to figure out a way to identify some of these investments while they are doing so, and dispose of them before they cease to, this person can expect to beat the market.

DGuller

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 16, 2014, 05:45:22 PM
If someone were able to figure out a way to identify some of these investments while they are doing so, and dispose of them before they cease to, this person can expect to beat the market.
That's like saying that if someone were to figure out a way to build a machine that puts out more energy than it takes in, they would be able to create a perpetual motion machine.  Which is a true statement.  The devil is in the details.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2014, 05:22:37 PM

Investment vehicles (not sure about ETFs) have been made to do that. It prompted Buffett to offer b shares at a much lower price (they are some fraction of the a shares).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2014, 05:48:48 PM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 16, 2014, 05:45:22 PM
If someone were able to figure out a way to identify some of these investments while they are doing so, and dispose of them before they cease to, this person can expect to beat the market.
That's like saying that if someone were to figure out a way to build a machine that puts out more energy than it takes in, they would be able to create a perpetual motion machine.  Which is a true statement.  The devil is in the details.

No, it isn't.  Based on the current understanding pf physics, a machine that puts out more energy than it takes in cannot exist.  If such a machine could and did exist, then it would be possible but not necessarily practical to create a perpetual motion machine.

Which was my point.  The existence of an investment in the past capable of consistently beating market averages, combined with the nature of how market averages are constructed, means that such investments will exist in the future.  The existence of such an investment that is itself composed primarily of investments also proves it is not impossible to find these in the future, as someone has done so in the past.  Thus, it is not impossible to beat the market or expect to beat the market.