Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Treasurys Rise; Yield Touches 2014 Low

"Benchmark 10-Year Notes Fall to 2014-Low 2.464% Yield"

http://online.wsj.com/articles/treasurys-rise-yield-touches-2014-low-1401284037

Yields this year have been falling on mixed news and in spite of QE3 tapering. Imagine if bad news hits. Yet, stocks stay high. It is increasingly tricky to figure out what to do with investment portfolios.

MadImmortalMan

I left for vacation with everything fairly tight. Not much room to fail, but Core Labs did drop significantly. About the same amount as MSFT gained. Which is good for me and good for Mrs. MIM's sock buying program, which has frankly been languishing for more than a decade. Now that Ballmer's gone, there seems to be a spark, and I like it.

I had sold calls and offsetting puts on my CLB position (and the others too---no sense worrying about your portfolio when you're wandering around Ljubjiana). Anyway, I lost a couple hundred bucks there. Gained some in LO. More or less flat, as intended. Those PM puts are toast. I guess people just thought it was to dangerous a time to not be invested in tobacco. Luckily, I had LO to counter. The puts I originally bought on PM are worth about 3c each. I'm just going to let them go in the vain and worthless hope that maybe Carl Icahn will be caught trading them illegally or something.  In the meantime. basking in the happy of the gains elsewhere. My last negative month was August 2011. I don't want to remember that one.  :Embarrass:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Alcibiades

As soon I sell intel (house financing) it rockets up.  Would be my luck.   :angry: :angry: :angry:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Phillip V

I am trying to find a bottom on Splunk (SPLK).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on May 07, 2014, 07:07:56 AM
But with all the major stuff going on in my life, I have really lost track of stock market and economical happenings. Which sectors would make sense to invest in?
I think RH recommended reading the FT's guide to investing which is what I'll do when I'm ready. But to be honest I doubt I'll be like these guys in terms of lots of trading.

Speaking of which what do you guys think of this:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027346/global-watchdogs-rattled-by-lack-of-fear-in-the-markets/
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I agree that bonds are dangerously bid up right now.

Phillip V

Let's see what the ECB does this Thursday and then U.S. jobs report on Friday.

MadImmortalMan

Today's chart looks bad, kids. Like it wants to make a head and shoulders, which technicians hate. Or love to short, if you prefer. There's a gap to fill below as well. I'm thinking maybe 5 SPY points down would satisfy them.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah here's what I expected to see. Patience paying off for once.

Phillip V

Iraq tumult gave my oil stock SDRL quite a boost; received fat dividend just two days ago (11% annual yield).

And any reason for flight to the safety of U.S. debt keeps AGNC happy.

Phillip V

Another stock market record today. When will it end! :(

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2014, 06:11:28 PM
Hopefully not any time soon.  I am thinking of taking some of my recent earnings and buying a new car. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Phillip V

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2014, 07:00:42 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2014, 06:11:28 PM
Hopefully not any time soon.  I am thinking of taking some of my recent earnings and buying a new car. :cool:
Which car?

Admiral Yi

My Canadian penny stock has come roaring back from the dead.  I could sell out now for an 11% gain (over maybe a year :thumbsdown) or hold on in the hopes of further gains.  What say ye?

MadImmortalMan

Sell. No such thing as a bad gain. You can always buy it again later if it gets stable.