Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 20, 2014, 06:19:10 PM
Tapering is priced-in. Everyone already expects it.

Yesterday's little drama was the result of tradebots parsing her words and trading off of it combined with her accidentally making a mis-statement while answering a question. The result is a mini-flashcrash. Dudes clicking buttons can't drop the market that much that fast.

This is why Benny was so crazy precise with his wording, but mini versions of this happened to him a few times too.

Anyway, we got it all back.
If I were a Federal Reserve chairman, I would deliberately fuck with all those Twitter-parsing bots.

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2014, 03:41:13 PM
Big drop in the market today. S&P is down 2%.
AGNC rose today, so I sold some.
SDRL dropped today, so I bought some.

MadImmortalMan

Stuff I have:

MSFT: up 7%

CLB: up 7%

LO: up 13%

Calls sold every month on those pulling down some free money.

PM put: down 50%

Short PM put (offset for time premium): up 40%

So I've made way more money on the LO buy than (I lost on) the PM put. They've essentially traded together and it's acting as a hedged position. I've noticed that happens a lot now that people have been using ETFs more and more. Things trade together with their sectors more than they ever did before. So my ecig theory was right but my idea that it would hurt PM was not. So far, anyway. Can't win 'em all.

Covered call strategy has been working well recently with the market going sideways.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

I am hoping for a short-term pull-back in AGNC and SDRL before their June ex-dividend dates.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Phillip V on April 29, 2014, 04:17:16 PM
I am hoping for a short-term pull-back in AGNC and SDRL before their June ex-dividend dates.

Well the market just bounced off the all-time highs again without quite getting there. The last four times that's happened have been great shorting opportunities, so you might get your buying opportunity in roughly a couple weeks if it holds the pattern.

Of course now that I've said that, it'll finally break through and hit a runner in the morning.  :P

Admiral Yi

I think AGNC is a countercyclical play.  If the economy does well, it increases the likelihood of Fed rate hikes, which fuck up AGNC's play.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2014, 05:43:19 PM
I think AGNC is a countercyclical play.  If the economy does well, it increases the likelihood of Fed rate hikes, which fuck up AGNC's play.

Yeah rate hikes would mess their valuation. I think the traders are trading on expectations there by undervaluing it. Future value reflected today, if you will.

Those guys have done a good job of getting short-term with their bonds though. I doubt they'll be wrecked by rate hikes too much.

Phillip V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 29, 2014, 05:43:19 PM
That's the bet. I believe we will see low interest rates until at least late 2015.

The company is doing well now because bond yields have decreased from last year against expectations.

Phillip V

U.S. Economic Growth Slows To a Crawl in First Quarter

The first read of first-quarter gross domestic product, released this morning, showed growth of just 0.1%, well below expectations of a 1.2% increase and fourth-quarter growth of 2.6%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304178104579533412969885426.html

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

I have modest reserves, some of which (think a few thousand pounds for now) I think I should invest for the long term via a UK ISA account.

I am thinking putting it into a fund, then as more accumulates I would either add those there or "diversify" with other funds or ETFs.

But with all the major stuff going on in my life, I have really lost track of stock market and economical happenings. Which sectors would make sense to invest in?

Admiral Yi

Tamas