Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napoleon XIV

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 03:00:37 PM
Holy shit - Nappy? :blink:

Yep.  It's me.  I kind of got busy these past few years (law school, CPA licensure, buying a house, starting a business...) and never got around to checking here too much.  It's not like I ever really posted much anyhow. 

How are things?
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Admiral Yi

Sure, and some companies like Apple have never paid out a dividend.  It just seems kind of gimmicky for a tracking stock of a MLP, which is required by law to pass 90% of quarterly profit to its owners.

Napoleon XIV

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2013, 05:12:31 PM
Sure, and some companies like Apple have never paid out a dividend.  It just seems kind of gimmicky for a tracking stock of a MLP, which is required by law to pass 90% of quarterly profit to its owners.

Apple pays a dividend...  :unsure:

Not really sure how it's a gimmick either.  It's same as would be for, say, a mutual fund.  It's pretty common and strongly recommended for the average long term investor type (it's the stock version of compound interest).
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Barrister

Quote from: Napoleon XIV on November 05, 2013, 05:11:21 PM

Yep.  It's me.  I kind of got busy these past few years (law school, CPA licensure, buying a house, starting a business...) and never got around to checking here too much.  It's not like I ever really posted much anyhow. 

How are things?

Holy shit - you went to law school too? :lol:

Things are well.  Languish itself is pretty much unchanged.  All of the posters of course are a few years older, with all that entails.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Napoleon XIV

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2013, 05:39:23 PM
Quote from: Napoleon XIV on November 05, 2013, 05:11:21 PM

How are things?

Holy shit - you went to law school too? :lol:

Things are well.  Languish itself is pretty much unchanged.  All of the posters of course are a few years older, with all that entails.

Yeah.  It seemed like a good idea at the time...  Who else went to law school?  Last I remember, Ideologue was either in or heading off to it for some reason...
Buy Webhosting!
Get your taxes done!

Phillip V

Sprint (S) hit a new recent high today. :)

I hoping for 100% return with a year or two.

MadImmortalMan

Bitcoins crashing again.

The price of a Bitcoin was sent tumbling Wednesday after China's largest exchange for the virtual currency said it would stop accepting yuan deposits — China's local currency.

The much-ballyhooed currency has now fallen by around 50% below the record trading highs seen at the end of November, when it briefly touched the $1,200 level. On Wednesday, the price of a Bitcoin was down approximately 20% to $550.

The exchange, BTC China, said that "due to the reasons that everyone knows, BTC China has to temporarily stop its yuan account recharging functions." BTC China made the comments on Weibo, a popular Chinese micro-blogging service similar to Twitter. "BTC China will continue to operate. Please continue to monitor our website, we will try to offer another way to recharge," the exchange said.

The currency has been on the slide since earlier this month when the People's Bank of China, the nation's central bank, said that it would not allow financial institutions to sell, trade or store Bitcoins, which it does not consider to be a real currency because it doesn't have any legal status or monetary equivalent.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

OMG Taper Taper Taper

Damn, the market just went down 50 then up 200 in less than a minute.

Edit: We've cracked $16k on the Dow.

Admiral Yi

S&P down about 3% last two days.

Glad I unloaded my mom's SPY at 175.

Could this finally be the long-awaited tapering readjustment?

Alcibiades

I'm hoping so.  I dumped my Intel shares from the past 5 years on the 31st, with a 47% gain, for tax purposes. :w00t:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Strangely, this was my single best trading day of the year so far. The only position I'm holding is MSFT, and they were up today after yesterday's earnings report. And I'm selling calls against it at 37. I'm holding March puts on SPY, plus I did a daytrade with ten weekly puts this morning. That last one netted a super nice profit by itself.

I sold the wife's Microsoft ESPP shares today as well. 400 of them.

stjaba

Bought 10k worth of SPY yesterday.  :cry: I am investing only for the very long run, so a drop doesn't hurt my feelings too much, but I could have bought an extra share or two if I had just waited a few days.

Admiral Yi

Mimsy, if your only position is MSFT, where are you parking the rest of your loot?