Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 18, 2013, 01:57:49 PM
I think it's time to take a speculative short position on the S&P as a whole.

If you think, like I do, that easy money is driving stock prices, you're in effect betting against the Fed.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2013, 02:10:41 PM

If you think, like I do, that easy money is driving stock prices, you're in effect betting against the Fed.

Yes. Betting against the fed is a bad idea. Like I said, I think the run-up in stocks has been mostly due to there being no good alternatives.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 18, 2013, 02:10:41 PM

Are you saying that betting against the Fed is suicidal?

Alcibiades

Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
The reason I'm skeptical of Tesla is that today's battery technology isn't going to cut it, there isn't enough development in it to ever make it practical for a car.  There has to be a revolution in battery technology, and it'll come eventually.  However, given how many big boys in many different industries are interested in it, the odds are that they'll get it and not an upstart like Tesla.

That whole Tesla thing?  Yeah doubled in the past month, should have bought it.  :(

First quarter of profitability and consumer report named it their top scoring car, not electric cars, of all cars.   :sleep:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tonitrus

A company's stock price shooting way up while they're losing money left-and-right makes me wonder about the stock market sometimes :hmm:

ulmont

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 10, 2013, 05:47:21 AM
A company's stock price shooting way up while they're losing money left-and-right makes me wonder about the stock market sometimes :hmm:

If you're talking about Tesla, they're profitable now, which is sort of the point.

DGuller

Quote from: Alcibiades on May 10, 2013, 01:28:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 01, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
The reason I'm skeptical of Tesla is that today's battery technology isn't going to cut it, there isn't enough development in it to ever make it practical for a car.  There has to be a revolution in battery technology, and it'll come eventually.  However, given how many big boys in many different industries are interested in it, the odds are that they'll get it and not an upstart like Tesla.

That whole Tesla thing?  Yeah doubled in the past month, should have bought it.  :(

First quarter of profitability and consumer report named it their top scoring car, not electric cars, of all cars.   :sleep:
Meh, Consumer Reports to cars is what Raz is to sanity.  But, yes, my long-term skepticism is in stark contrast to other people short-term optimism.

Tonitrus

And here I thought P was peaking at 15/share.  I have a bad habit of selling too early.  :glare:

My favorite recent penny-stock has been NVLX.  I double-downed (well, more like 1000-downed) on them last week.  Here's hoping Tim hasn't tainted biotech.

MadImmortalMan

Holdings in gold ETFs are down 20% this year. On the other hand, short positions in gold are at a new all-time high, finally cracking over the previous peak in 1999. And then you have shortages of physical gold everywhere. I can't decide if the shorts are right and the paper gold market will simply break or if there will be a rebound that pulls off a huge short squeeze. One way or another that rubber band is stretched.

MadImmortalMan

I sniped two hundred bucks with puts going into the fed minutes. If I had done that trade with the full weight of my account behind it I would have made about seven grand in 15 minutes. I can't help it, I just can't bring myself to risk more than 10 or 20 options at a time. Thinking about what could have been is poison though. Makes you take dumb risks next time.

Phillip V

Anybody actually think the Fed will ease up on bond purchases soon? The market seems to think so.

MadImmortalMan

Before I go to bed, I wanted to mention that Wednesday is gonna be one of the most important trading days of the year because everything depends on Bernanke. My opinion is that the Fed has had enough of the doubt and rumors they made last month because they aren't getting the economic numbers they need (unemployment 6.5%) and they will stick to the script of QE until we say otherwise. Probably means a bump but I'm taking a straddle just because I think that bump will happen, but if it doesn't the opposite will.

Admiral Yi

Damn, market has been going a little nuts last few weeks.  Time to cash out some positions I think.

Admiral Yi

Dumped my Haliburton, dumped my mom's BAC, would dump my McGraw-Hill except I really want to wait for the federal lawsuit against them to curl up and die first.

Just put a bet down on a Canadian biotech penny stock that my Canadian bud, who I had not talked to in 10 years, was flogging like a mad man.  :ph34r: