Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 01, 2013, 01:05:02 AM
What do you guys think of Tesla motors?  (TSLA)

Been watching them for a few weeks and hoping I didn't just miss a window, looks like they're about to have a nice spike in the morning.  Really hoping for another offering though...
IMO, from an car guy's perspective, they're a dead end.  Their current cars are crap, and if there is a breakthrough in battery technology, the big boys will put it in place first, and much more comprehensively.  Then again, their crappiness may already be fully priced in, so buying their stock is like taking a gamble that they'll turn out to be less crappy than expected for a while.

Alcibiades

What makes you say they are crappy?  And already they are the leaders in battery technology and actually supply the big boys with their current battery technology.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

DGuller

The reason I'm skeptical of Tesla is that today's battery technology isn't going to cut it, there isn't enough development in it to ever make it practical for a car.  There has to be a revolution in battery technology, and it'll come eventually.  However, given how many big boys in many different industries are interested in it, the odds are that they'll get it and not an upstart like Tesla.

frunk

The big boys tend to follow paths of research that haven't been explored because they are expensive to develop, not because they are innovative.  The oddball results are found by the little boys.  I wouldn't bet on any single developer to have the solution, but it probably won't be found by any of the big players and it's equally possible that it will be several small incremental enhancements from many different sources.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

Investing in penny stocks is a huge gamble. Find ten biotech companies and put the same amount into each. One them will spike at some point and the rest will make you lose your shit. Try to guess the good ones, maybe.

If we do cure cancer, I've got a short list of parasites to get puts on.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 03, 2013, 04:17:33 AM
Investing in penny stocks is a huge gamble. Find ten biotech companies and put the same amount into each. One them will spike at some point and the rest will make you lose your shit. Try to guess the good ones, maybe.

If we do cure cancer, I've got a short list of parasites to get puts on.  :)
Later. :cool:

MadImmortalMan

I increased my cash position in the IRA to about 30%. Closed positions in Chesapeake, Chevron and Shlumberger. Too much oil in the mix. Kept Kinder-Morgan. I'll probably pick up some of that AGNC with the settled cash tomorrow.

MadImmortalMan

Bitcoin dropping like a rock. lol

High today: $260
Current price: $169

Ed Anger

Gold is taking a beating.

*looks at the silver price....cries*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 15, 2013, 07:52:46 AM
Gold is taking a beating.

*looks at the silver price....cries*

The multiple between them is still historically way off. The magic number used to be 16. (Gold's price is 16 times silver's.) right now it's ~60 times. In order to get back there, gold would have to crash to $360 or silver would have to go up to $85. I'm guessing something between that. We may never see the 16 multiple again, who knows.

I'm interested to see where gold finds an equilibrium. We may finally see a buying opportunity.

Admiral Yi

Just put some money into iShares Korean index ETF.

Anyone have any experience with country-specific ETFs?

Zanza

Quote from: frunk on April 01, 2013, 03:07:15 PM
The big boys tend to follow paths of research that haven't been explored because they are expensive to develop, not because they are innovative.  The oddball results are found by the little boys.  I wouldn't bet on any single developer to have the solution, but it probably won't be found by any of the big players and it's equally possible that it will be several small incremental enhancements from many different sources.
It will be interesting how well Tesla's business model scales when they ramp up production.

My impression from the R&D departments of the big players in the automotive industry is that they are definitely innovative and will try new technologies. The problem is that they will usually not go for solutions that work in high price small unit series, but rather must find something that can be built cheaply in big numbers. I am not sure that battery technology is already there.

Ed Anger

Did a rough calculation, looks like I've lost about a thousand in the value of my silver.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive