Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

BOE is maybe the most easing-friendly central bank right now. They are trying to out-Japan the BoJ. There's a lot of talk about shorting the Pound right now. People are comparing it to the setup Soros used to make his 100billion dollar short on sterling and forced the BOE to pull the pound off the Euro exchange rate mechanism.

I don't trade forex, but It'll be nice to take another trip to the UK. The last time I was there was pre-crash and the exchange rate was 2/1. Who wants to pay $30 for fish and chips?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Cal, I've got some money sitting on its ass right now.

What REITs do you own/like?

Caliga

I own VNQ and VTR right now.  VNQ is an ETF index tho.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

I recently read an article about how people with stock in various Japanese companies get all sorts of free gifts from the companies. Sadly it requires levels of stock ownership that would make the value of these gifts worthless ($7000 worth....) but intruiging nonetheless.
I really wish this stocks stuff was easier to do on a low level. Doesn't seem to be at all worthwhile with transaction fees, handling fees and all sorts of fee fees.

QuoteAnd with silver below 30 bucks, I'm losing money.

Note to self: never let people repay debts with silver.
Unless you actually get to physically own the silver. That would be cool.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

I own 10 shares of Sony.  Where's my goddamn Jap bling  :mad:

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2013, 07:19:41 PM
I own 10 shares of Sony.  Where's my goddamn Jap bling  :mad:
100 seems the usual cutoff.
And the company not being in the process of going under helps too.

It was an updated version I read but it is pretty interesting:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/20/your-money/20iht-mperks_ed3_.html
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2013, 07:09:24 PM
I own VNQ and VTR right now.  VNQ is an ETF index tho.

:hmm: I was hoping for a little richer dividend yield.

Caliga

REITs pay a decent, steady dividend (which they are required by law to do, in fact) and they are typically a good long term investment because their business is owning a large pool of tangible assets so it's not like they're going to vanish overnight like a pharma or a tech company could.  If you want a huge div yield then you're going to need to look into something way more risky.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tyr on March 13, 2013, 07:18:29 PM
I recently read an article about how people with stock in various Japanese companies get all sorts of free gifts from the companies. Sadly it requires levels of stock ownership that would make the value of these gifts worthless ($7000 worth....) but intruiging nonetheless.
I really wish this stocks stuff was easier to do on a low level. Doesn't seem to be at all worthwhile with transaction fees, handling fees and all sorts of fee fees.

It is in the safe. It isn't that exciting. 150 tiny little rectangles.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2013, 07:32:27 PM
REITs pay a decent, steady dividend (which they are required by law to do, in fact) and they are typically a good long term investment because their business is owning a large pool of tangible assets so it's not like they're going to vanish overnight like a pharma or a tech company could.  If you want a huge div yield then you're going to need to look into something way more risky.

It appears there are a variety of REIT types.  The one Mimsy turned me on to, AGNC, doesn't own any property, it buys government-issued MBS.  That type pays a mongo dividend.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2013, 07:46:56 PM

It's enough to buy five Jesuses.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 13, 2013, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2013, 07:46:56 PM

It's enough to buy five Jesuses.

Jesus saves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Alcibiades

What do you guys think of Tesla motors?  (TSLA)

Been watching them for a few weeks and hoping I didn't just miss a window, looks like they're about to have a nice spike in the morning.  Really hoping for another offering though...
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

Tesla, no?

I took a look at their site, and it says right there they have a corporate philosophy of never paying any dividends.  That turned me right off.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain