Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I'm thinking of making a play on the recent tech companies like Zynga and Groupon who might be gobbled up if their stock weakness continues. I ain't gonna invest much.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

I actually did get some September puts on TLT the day I posted my short, and they're up 48%. The short itself is up fifty bucks. Those puts way more than make up for my loss on the JPM puts. I still wish death or scandal on Jamie Dimon however. Hopefully before Friday.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Sold 10 TLT puts. No reason to be too greedy. Gain was about 170% Will buy more if it drops below this line of support at around 120. Pretty likely it will take a swan dive then.

JPM puts will likely expire worthless tomorrow. Oh well.

alfred russel

You can send my cut of the TLT winnings to a charity of your choice.  :P

I'm thinking of cashing out soon too.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Swan dive might be coming early. Just dropped fifty cents in the last few minutes.  :lol:

I still have the short, but no puts.

Admiral Yi

BOA just called my bond, so I'm thinking about rolling it over to a REIT.

MIM, can you expand a bit on the tax issues, or do you know a site that would spell them out for me?

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2012, 05:30:57 PM
I'm thinking of making a play on the recent tech companies like Zynga and Groupon who might be gobbled up if their stock weakness continues. I ain't gonna invest much.

If you want to make a quick speculative play then sure, but the fundamentals of both companies are pretty crappy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

REIT (and MLP) income is not dividends, and it's taxed at your normal tax rate instead of the normal 15%. You are a "partner" and they send you an income statement every year. Your income from the company comes as partnership/ownership proceeds.

So basically, you pay higher taxes because the REIT pays none. So I only own them in the IRA.

Admiral Yi

Admiral Yi

Order in for 200 shares of AGNC at 33.50.  :ph34r:

I was hoping I could get in to American Residential Properties.  They're a Phoenix outfit that buys distressed properties and rents them; mentioned in an Economist article on the trend toward rentals.  Alas, they're not publicly traded.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 16, 2012, 02:50:55 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 14, 2012, 05:30:57 PM

If you want to make a quick speculative play then sure, but the fundamentals of both companies are pretty crappy.

I wouldn't be investing on the strength of their boards.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Admiral Yi

I was looking at the Kinder-Morgan investor page (decided not to buy because the org structure was too weird).  Learned that the CEO is paid $1 a year.  Course he owns 24% of the company...

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

I'm making a list of things to short going into the fiscal cliff. Widely-held stocks that have gone up a lot, so people have lots of unrealized gains they'd rather take at the lower tax rate this year.

1: Apple

2: Apple

3: Apple

4: Apple

Research ongoing...