Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

To which I would add keep your principles out of your share purchases  :P

My guess yesterday was that some EU panjandrum would pop up today and kick the can further down the road. I don't think that is any way to run a continent, but the guess was correct from the point of view of making some money............probably luck.

Admiral Yi

SLB is up 3 bucks today.  Wonder if they got a bump from an Economist article about oilfield services companies.

MadImmortalMan

A few minutes to Bernanke and the market is spiking downward. It's like they're warning him that if they don't like what he's going to say, they'll throw a tantrum. Mr. Market is a crack whore waiting for his next easing fix.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PJL

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 01, 2012, 01:05:51 PM
A few minutes to Bernanke and the market is spiking downward. It's like they're warning him that if they don't like what he's going to say, they'll throw a tantrum. Mr. Market is a crack whore waiting for his next easing fix.

Ahh that might explain why I'm making a mint on the euro plunging then....

citizen k

Interview With A High-Frequency Trader

While the attached interview between the Casey Report and HFT expert Garrett from CalibratedConfidence will not reveal much unknown new to those who have been following the high frequency trading topic ever since ZH made it a mainstream issue in April of 2009, it will serve as a great foundation for all those new to the topic who are looking for an honest, unbiased introduction to what is otherwise a nebulous and complicated matter. We urge everyone who is even remotely interested in market structure, broken markets and the future of trading to read the observations presented below.

From Casey Report:

Interview with a High-Frequency Trading Expert

High-frequency trading (HFT) – wherein computers transact thousands of times per second with incomprehensible speed – now accounts for over 60% of all trades on American exchanges. How does this sweeping market change affect retail investors?
There are two very different answers to that question. Supporters claim that high-frequency traders (HFTs) are a net-positive market force because they provide liquidity and tighten bid-ask spreads. They say that high-frequency trading is rarely if ever used for nefarious purposes, and regulators make sure of it.

On the other side, detractors claim that HFTs regularly manipulate unaware investors and otherwise destabilize markets. They say that HFTs are a net-negative force on the market and should be reined in.

The answer surely lies somewhere in between. But which is closer to the truth? To find out, we talked to Garrett, an expert on market systems and high-frequency trading. Having experienced first-hand the problems HFTs can cause, he fits firmly in the "detractor" camp, for reasons you'll read below. Garrett gave us excellent insight into how HFTs profit, along with tips on how to make sure they don't profit at your expense.

ttp://www.zerohedge.com/news/interview-high-frequency-trader

DGuller

The answer is somewhere between net negative and net positive?  :hmm: Way to go out on a limb.

Admiral Yi

PBI up almost a buck today. :yeah:

How are your JPM puts doing MIM?  :ph34r:

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

The Sprott silver asset value premiums are down to their early 2011 lows--around 3%. It was a little over 20% that April when the spike happened.  :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

Chesapeake boosts guidance and is rocketing after hours. Awesome. I have a big position in the IRA.

MadImmortalMan

I'm going short TLT with a decent-size. Not puts, just shorting it.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

A couple of prints just above 1409 SPY about an hour apart seem to be telegraphing the direction today. I took on some SPY calls 20 minutes ago and those are already up pretty well. Good daytrade opportunity. It'll probably pay for my dinner tonight anyway.

TLT short is red but getting pinker as the day goes on. I'm staying with that for a while. Very confident in that trade.

Edit: SPY calls stop-triggered for only a $20 gain. Dinner is right.  :P

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

3rd print of the day just happened at the exact same spot just over 1409. Somebody really wants the market to go there.