Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

The ten-year hit an all-time (ever) low yield today. I can certainly follow the reasoning here.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on May 17, 2012, 08:43:02 PM
Seriously, if you have a better idea how to play this, let me know.

My point is shorts are great but expensive to maintain for any kind of time.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 17, 2012, 09:06:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 17, 2012, 08:43:02 PM
Seriously, if you have a better idea how to play this, let me know.

My point is shorts are great but expensive to maintain for any kind of time.

The two reasons they are expensive:

1) You have to pay dividends. Here they are very low, and if they go up, that means major winnings.
2) The interest to the brokerage, but this is avoidable if you keep you account sufficiently funded. This normally has opportunity costs, but right now rates are near zero. If that changes, see #1 (major winnings).

I think right now is the exception to that rule.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 17, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
The ten-year hit an all-time (ever) low yield today. I can certainly follow the reasoning here.
The problem is that as interest rate decreases, bond's sensitivity to further decrease in the interest rate increases.  Japan used to have them at near zero, if that's where we're headed (and I sure hope it's not where we're headed).

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 17, 2012, 09:52:48 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 17, 2012, 08:47:44 PM
The problem is that as interest rate decreases, bond's sensitivity to further decrease in the interest rate increases.  Japan used to have them at near zero, if that's where we're headed (and I sure hope it's not where we're headed).

Japanese 30 year bond yields are about 1.7% right now. I know they used to be lower. So there is potential for further declines. However, our inflation rate was 3% last year, and the dollar has not been doing well against many non euro countries.

I think you need to remember our respective track records on this stuff, and how pre 2008 you were so wrong on the housing market and I was so right. You even made a thread about how I was right about everything.  :P

DGuller

:). To be fair, I really have no strong opinion, my ears glaze over whenever a subject of bond yields comes up.  I just offer comments as they come, without any greater opinion about things.  This isn't at all like the housing market subject, which I thought about for years, and had a pretty strong belief on.  It's also a lot easier to predict an inefficient market with lots of dumb money than something like a bond market.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2012, 11:02:29 AM
:punk:

Below its initial price?

Down from its initial price, but still above the IPO price.  I wouldn't necessarily call that "bombing", but I'm no stock guru.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 18, 2012, 10:57:53 AM
Facebook bombing.  :yeah:

Really?  It opened at $42.99, up from its initial $38.  How is that bombing?

Zuckerburg is now the 29th richest person in the world.  Over 1,000 Facebook employees became millionaires today.

Wouldn't call that bombing.

CountDeMoney

LOL, Bono just became the wealthiest musician in the world today, thanks to FB.

PJL

Been trying to short FB, but apparently it's not allowed. So much for free markets eh...

derspiess

FB is currently at $40.32, up 6.45% from the IPO price.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall