Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The people saying this as positive news, have any actual idea about the kind of competition Apple would move against?

Internet-ing on your TV is soooo 2010, and the kind of LED TVs coming, boy, Apple would have a hard time.

Phillip V

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2012, 01:31:25 PM
The people saying this as positive news, have any actual idea about the kind of competition Apple would move against?

Internet-ing on your TV is soooo 2010, and the kind of LED TVs coming, boy, Apple would have a hard time.

I want to sell the stock amidst the hype when it is announced. I personally seeing people transition to consuming video media via their computers, tablets, and smartphones. Then again, I also mistakenly assumed that the original iPad would only occupy a small niche.

Barrister

Well the info we know is that Apple, if they enter the TV market, figures they have some kind of innovation with respect to interface.  A lot of the speculation is that it is going to be voice activated, ala the Siri feature.  Or, that you're going to use your iPhone/iPad to control your tv.

TVs are pretty heavily commoditized.  I'm sure Apple could get someone to manufacture TVs for them that are equal to anything on the market.  Their game is not to compete on specs anyways.

But in short - who knows?  It seem like an almost suicidal move - the TV space is awfully crowded.  But then again look at the cellphone market of 2007 - also a very crowded market...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2012, 01:49:50 PM

Well the info we know is that Apple, if they enter the TV market, figures they have some kind of innovation with respect to interface.  A lot of the speculation is that it is going to be voice activated, ala the Siri feature.  Or, that you're going to use your iPhone/iPad to control your tv.

TVs are pretty heavily commoditized.  I'm sure Apple could get someone to manufacture TVs for them that are equal to anything on the market.  Their game is not to compete on specs anyways.

But in short - who knows?  It seem like an almost suicidal move - the TV space is awfully crowded.  But then again look at the cellphone market of 2007 - also a very crowded market...

You can already control TVs with an iPad, or Android in case of Samsung. You have Toshiba TVs which have face recognition which apply settings linked to the person sitting in front of them.

You have oLED (or however you write it) entering the mainstream market this year with a revolutionary picture quality. You can already stream movies to TVs directly.

Of course, this is Apple, so if they showcase those features in a TV, the general crowd will go apeshit crazy-happy over these radical new interventions.
But the big manufacturers will not sell Apple their top-notch panel technologies and manufacturing capabilities I am telling you that.

I am kind of hoping for this Apple TV, because I am telling you I will set aside some money to short Apple after the initial boost of the announcement and keep the short for as long as I can, because if they go serious about slicing an opening on the top-TV market, it will be their downfall.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2012, 02:16:23 PM
You can already control TVs with an iPad, or Android in case of Samsung. You have Toshiba TVs which have face recognition which apply settings linked to the person sitting in front of them.

You have oLED (or however you write it) entering the mainstream market this year with a revolutionary picture quality. You can already stream movies to TVs directly.

Of course, this is Apple, so if they showcase those features in a TV, the general crowd will go apeshit crazy-happy over these radical new interventions.
But the big manufacturers will not sell Apple their top-notch panel technologies and manufacturing capabilities I am telling you that.

I am kind of hoping for this Apple TV, because I am telling you I will set aside some money to short Apple after the initial boost of the announcement and keep the short for as long as I can, because if they go serious about slicing an opening on the top-TV market, it will be their downfall.

What the hell - I'll participate in an Apple hijack.

Been said many times that Apple rarely comes to market with a brand new idea.  But instead, they bring out technologies and do them better.

There's certainly room for improvement for TVs.  My tv remote for my samsung has enough buttons to fill a keyboard.  Then the add the remote for my cable-box, and my blue-ray player.  Then try to get them to all communicate with each other.  Then of course throw in my Apple TV (the remote is certainly different with its two buttons and a wheel), but it is still a hassle to switch between them all.

If Apple could invent a tv that scrapped all of those remotes, worked everything seemlessly through one simple interface, I think that would be worth a lot.

One other possibility - there are now thousands of iOS developers out there.  Presumably an Apple-branded TV would run off of iOS.  The biggest iOS selling apps are games.  Would an Apple-branded TV be an instant competitor to Playstation / XBox?

And Apple is sitting on almost $100 billion dollars.  TV manufacturers would eagerly sell screens to Apple.  And remember they wouldn't be selling technology - Apple doesn't manufacture anything these days.  Rather Apple would contract with them to build their tvs, so they're getting a cut of the action as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Alcibiades

Market taking a beating, thinking about putting a stop order in on PBI which was recommended further up for high dividends.  It's tanking today on market news...

Thinking about putting an 18.45 stop on, if it hits cool, if not...oh well.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Alcibiades on February 10, 2012, 10:09:56 AM
Market taking a beating, thinking about putting a stop order in on PBI which was recommended further up for high dividends.  It's tanking today on market news...

Thinking about putting an 18.45 stop on, if it hits cool, if not...oh well.

Not sure I see the logic of putting a stop on a *dividend* stock.  If news comes out that affects their earnings, then maybe.

Phillip V

Not steep enough. Give us a crisis to cause a bigger drop, and then I will buy.

Alcibiades

Haven't put it on while im still home, but it's still dropping quickly.   :shutup:

Maybe 18.10?

And I have a large amount of money sitting around collecting about 3 cents a month interest....Wanting to do *something* with it.  Feel free to give me ideas.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tamas

wait for eventual greek collapse, and the needless overreaction by US stocks.

Buy some.

Profit.

Phillip V

Quote from: Tamas on February 10, 2012, 10:35:53 AM

Buy some.

Profit.
+1

Patience, Alcibiades. I also have large amount of money, waiting.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 10, 2012, 10:35:53 AM

Buy some.

Profit.

I say go the other way.  The market is pricing in too much risk today, given the likelihood of a deal.  Put it all on bla...er, short dated euro futures.

Alcibiades

:lol:

I, too, think they will end up bailing those goat fuckers out and everyone will be hunky dory.  But, if you guys really think I should show patience, I shall.  I bow to your wisdom.   :pope:

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on February 09, 2012, 02:32:07 PM

There's certainly room for improvement for TVs.  My tv remote for my samsung has enough buttons to fill a keyboard.  Then the add the remote for my cable-box, and my blue-ray player.  Then try to get them to all communicate with each other.  Then of course throw in my Apple TV (the remote is certainly different with its two buttons and a wheel), but it is still a hassle to switch between them all.

If Apple could invent a tv that scrapped all of those remotes, worked everything seemlessly through one simple interface, I think that would be worth a lot.

Those are problems because the various manufacturers have traditionally refused to specify common interfaces for their various components.

How is Apple, a company notorious for refusing to participate in any common interface specifications, going to solve that problem?

Will an Apple TV talk to a Sony receiver and a Magnavox blue ray player and an XBOX better than Vizio does somehow?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Alcibiades on February 10, 2012, 10:30:10 AM
Haven't put it on while im still home, but it's still dropping quickly.   :shutup:

Maybe 18.10?

And I have a large amount of money sitting around collecting about 3 cents a month interest....Wanting to do *something* with it.  Feel free to give me ideas.

It's a post-earnings dump. Don't worry about it. They beat estimates anyway. This happens a lot to blue chips.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers