Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Take a look at: HCN, HCP, VTR, SPG, BXP, AIV.  I own/have owned stock in a few of these.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Cramer on the those hoarding shows:

WHY ARE THERE DEAD CATS HANGING FROM THE CEILING?

Cramer at 9am: Amusing.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Hoarding shows?  Que es eso?  Folks call in and compare survival rations and bunker floor plans?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 05, 2012, 09:40:47 AM
Hoarding shows?  Que es eso?  Folks call in and compare survival rations and bunker floor plans?

Sometimes I wonder about you.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 05, 2012, 12:00:45 PM
Sometimes I wonder about you.

While you're wondering, tell me what a hoarding show is.  I have no clue.

Ed Anger

MadImmortalMan

I've been in uber-volatility mode since the summer. Most of my money has been made on overnight OTM straddle trades on the SPY. It's the only thing that's been consistent. Eurorumors and Bernanke have jacked with every rational plan I've tried to put together. The market only moves in overnight gaps. The damn chart has more stairs than an Escher painting.

Some of these questions have me thinking a little more long-term now. Thing is, I emptied most of my trading account which had built up significantly in order to buy some real estate. But I do want to go back to the build a thesis and then trade to a plan method. I'm way better at it.

Commodities all seem to be somewhat bullish, so maybe I'll start there. I do have a tiny position in UNG (natural gas--which has been the one commodity that cannot go up). I'm hoping for a snowstorm.  :lol:

But that's nothing serious. Just a lottery ticket.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2012, 02:32:44 PM
Thing is, I emptied most of my trading account which had built up significantly in order to buy some real estate. But I do want to go back to the build a thesis and then trade to a plan method. I'm way better at it.
Meaning you bought some actual land as opposed to like stock in a REIT or something?  Interesting. :hmm:

MadImmortalMan

Yes.

So now I've got a straddle with Jan 127 puts and 129 calls since thursday. What happens? The market hangs out at 128 for five days burning my time premiums. The market is a jackass.  :P

Caliga

I've been thinking of buying some land.  I would like a big woodlot in Kentucky or Tennessee I can camp at and shoot my guns off as much as I want without anyone bitching. :)

The thing you always forget when looking in to doing that is that you have to pay property taxes, so it's like you're renting it even though you own it.  Damn government.  I want services without having to pay for them. :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 09, 2012, 02:00:38 PM
Yes.

So now I've got a straddle with Jan 127 puts and 129 calls since thursday. What happens? The market hangs out at 128 for five days burning my time premiums. The market is a jackass.  :P

Okay that's more like it. My straddle went from being 30% in the hole last night to a 20% gain today with the calls going in the money. Whew.

Admiral Yi

Put my 2012 IRA contribution into Schlumberger (SLB).  Stumbled across the stock while researching Haliburton.  I'm hoping for a big upside this year so I can flip it, in contrast to my typical buy and hold.

Fun fact: Schlumberger rhymes with Faberge.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 20, 2012, 05:07:30 PM
Fun fact: Schlumberger rhymes with Faberge.
Don't know what Faberge is but we always pronounced it shlumber-jay

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on January 20, 2012, 05:12:25 PM
Don't know what Faberge is but we always pronounced it shlumber-jay

Faberge as in Faberge eggs.  The tzar?  Ocean's 13?  Octopussy? No?

Maximus

Nope, hadn't heard of them, but I have now. Thanks.