Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I don't think it's a good idea to invest in restaurants unless you want to invest in one of the well-established giants (e.g. McDonalds, Yum).  Restaurants usually operate on a grow-or-die model and as soon as they stop growing, they usually tumble and/or get bought.  I did successfully buy in to Famous Dave's about ten years ago and made a nice profit, but in general I'm very nervous about this sector given the nature of the restaurant business.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2012, 07:52:23 PM
I don't think it's a good idea to invest in restaurants unless you want to invest in one of the well-established giants (e.g. McDonalds, Yum).  Restaurants usually operate on a grow-or-die model and as soon as they stop growing, they usually tumble and/or get bought.  I did successfully buy in to Famous Dave's about ten years ago and made a nice profit, but in general I'm very nervous about this sector given the nature of the restaurant business.

I don't have any restaurant stocks (I don't count SBUX), because Tilted Kilt is not publicly traded.  :(

Admiral Yi

Isn't getting bought usually a nice thing?

Tonto:  AT&T has spit out a 6% dividend as regular as a Swiss clock since I've had it.

MadImmortalMan

If inside the IRA, put in some reits for high dividends. My biggest gainer in 2011 was KMP by a lot. Kinder-Morgan. I did like MCD but it's gotten overvalued now too. People fleeing to safe things all over the place. I think the company is still strong though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2012, 07:55:13 PM

Tonto:  AT&T has spit out a 6% dividend as regular as a Swiss clock since I've had it.

Yeah, I've been looking hard at AT&T.

Caliga

Caliga

Not always, and if the stock collapses prior then you don't gain much.  OTOH I've always done well in buyouts myself...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2012, 07:58:31 PMOTOH I've always done well in buyouts myself...

Well, you've still got those South American Christian phone apps to fall back on or whatever it was.  :)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2012, 07:57:36 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2012, 07:55:40 PM
If inside the IRA, put in some reits for high dividends.
I agree. :cool:

I've got a fair bit in a REIT mutual fund, and have never been too impressed with the dividend...

You guys care to make any specific recommendations?  :P

MadImmortalMan

KMP returned 33.52% for me this year. Still my favorite. Dunno about the timing. Might get a chance at a better price. Only own them in an IRA though IMO. They have tax complications otherwise.

Alcibiades

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2012, 07:56:39 PM

As long as you aren't trying to get service from them.   :yuk:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Tonitrus

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 04, 2012, 08:33:50 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2012, 07:56:39 PM

As long as you aren't trying to get service from them.   :yuk:

My cell service is AT&T...never needed service, but never had any problems either.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2012, 08:00:12 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2012, 07:58:31 PMOTOH I've always done well in buyouts myself...

Well, you've still got those South American Christian phone apps to fall back on or whatever it was.  :)
:D

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2012, 08:03:05 PM
I've got a fair bit in a REIT mutual fund, and have never been too impressed with the dividend...

Are you only concered with yield?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2012, 09:08:51 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2012, 08:03:05 PM

Are you only concered with yield?

Besides having great tracts of land?  :P

Growth is nice, but I'd tend to think with a REIT, yield is paramount.  But as I have said, I am quite a novice at these things.