Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I was Googling gold price, and I came upon this site:  http://goldprice.org/ .  Reading through the titles of the guy's "analysis" was pretty amusing.  "If Gold Price Closes Over $1,800 Two Days Running, Don't Wait Buy Fistfuls ", from November 15.  :lol:

Financial analysts today must be what fortune tellers were hundreds of years ago.  Unfortunately, the world's economy suffers from the financial charlatans, whereas fortune tellers kept the damage contained largely to the fools they conned.

Martinus

PJL

Apparently gold was about $2500 per ounce in today's money during the Middle Ages before the Spanish discoverd the Aztec gold. Although how they worked it out with a curency that didn't even exist before the late 18th century I don't know.

Alcibiades

Considering buying some amazon stock, appears to have dropped a bit the past few months despite strong growth and a trend that I would think can only go up....

Any thoughts from some of you gurus?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

There was an article yesterday on seekingalpha that seemed compelling to me. It was a comparison between Microsoft 1999 and Amazon 2011. I've been staying away from MSFT for years due to the dead money problem. $25 a share for ten years. But they actually have been growing the underlying business through the whole decade, and now are at an under ten PE ratio. While Amazon is still up near 100. IMO, somewhere in the 10-15 range is desirable. I may have to rethink my MSFT hate eventually. Hmmm...not just yet though. Keep in mind the difference between the business models.

Edit: http://seekingalpha.com/article/317024-amazon-is-the-old-microsoft

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on December 31, 2011, 05:08:01 AM
Apparently gold was about $2500 per ounce in today's money during the Middle Ages before the Spanish discoverd the Aztec gold. Although how they worked it out with a curency that didn't even exist before the late 18th century I don't know.

Convert it into a commodity or commodities first then back into dollars.

Alcibiades

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2012, 12:38:26 PM
There was an article yesterday on seekingalpha that seemed compelling to me. It was a comparison between Microsoft 1999 and Amazon 2011. I've been staying away from MSFT for years due to the dead money problem. $25 a share for ten years. But they actually have been growing the underlying business through the whole decade, and now are at an under ten PE ratio. While Amazon is still up near 100. IMO, somewhere in the 10-15 range is desirable. I may have to rethink my MSFT hate eventually. Hmmm...not just yet though. Keep in mind the difference between the business models.

Edit: http://seekingalpha.com/article/317024-amazon-is-the-old-microsoft

Thanks, interesting read.  Maybe I'll hold off.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

MadImmortalMan

@jimcramer Jim Cramer
Look, i own up when i mess up. I am furious at myself about $AA. I should not have stuck with $F. Nobody's perfect. I blew these, okay?

;)

People have been giving him shit on Twitter apparently.

MadImmortalMan

Eastman Kodak filed for bankruptcy. EK down 30% today to about 45 cents a share. I always wonder why they don't go to zero. The common stock holder is last in a bankruptcy settlement. They were a big deal in Rochester when I was a kid. Sad.

Phillip V

Wall Street's biggest banks expect the Federal Reserve's 0% interest rates to persist into at least 2014, and see better than 50/50 odds of QE3.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/01/04/big-banks-see-better-than-5050-odds-of-qe3/

PJL

Quote from: Phillip V on January 04, 2012, 03:20:41 PM
Wall Street's biggest banks expect the Federal Reserve's 0% interest rates to persist into at least 2014, and see better than 50/50 odds of QE3.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/01/04/big-banks-see-better-than-5050-odds-of-qe3/

If UK bonds are a good proxy with bank rates then ours aren't likely to rise before 2015.

Ed Anger

I got the hell out of Chipolte. Ed's stock drop(of Chipolte) senses are going off.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 04, 2012, 04:58:56 PM
I got the hell out of Chipolte. Ed's stock drop(of Chipolte) senses are going off.

The one at the mall seemed pretty busy.

Tonitrus

Since I opened my Roth over a year ago, COST is still my strongest stock (making up for a lot of small losers), and will remain as one of my "I like the company, shop there a lot" dividend stocks (that's kinda the core of my purchase inspirations).

I picked up MSFT a couple weeks ago, and will probably add to it with this year's IRA contribution.

My other two winners have been PFE and SBUX, both (especially SBUX) have been good, strong dividend stocks over the last several months.  I just wonder how much more steam SBUX has, but they seem to be a strong, dividend-paying hometown company, so I'll probably hold onto it.

I haven't bought into AMAZ because one; the price and P/E ration is higher than I like, and I don't care for Bezos.

I had also bought AA, and got stung a bit, but they pay a dividend, so unless they're looking at bankruptcy, they'll just go into the "long-term" dividend-paying pile.

Also had a fair amount of SWHC that I sold for a small profit a month ago...wish I held it a little longer.

Though still need to research some other strong dividend stocks to add.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 04, 2012, 07:27:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 04, 2012, 04:58:56 PM

The one at the mall seemed pretty busy.

My gut outranks your mall.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive