Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Yes.

Incidentally, even though I do think that, I'm going long GLD calls right now for the shorter term.

Edit: My USO puts are doing nicely. Gasoline is through the floor.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

My bear-side portfolio in the cnbc game is up $34,000.  :lol:

Edit: "Eurocrash" portfolio is up $53,000.  :P

Edit2: And that puts me in 8261st place. The current leader is up 161k. Wow. I'm not leveraged enough.

Richard Hakluyt

I guess 1st place will go to a guy with an utterly crazy plan that just happens to turn out right; there being thousands of entrants with crazy plans, some of which will work out fine  :cool:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2011, 09:28:22 AM
I'm dipping my toe back in with my day trade fund.

Made some money, decided I didn't want the stress and left the day with a nice little profit. Screw this crap.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

WTF was that crazy-ass move back and forth near the close. damn

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 22, 2011, 12:51:57 PM
I guess 1st place will go to a guy with an utterly crazy plan that just happens to turn out right; there being thousands of entrants with crazy plans, some of which will work out fine  :cool:
:yes: That's the strategy.

Tamas

This morning by the time I logged in, positive action seemed to fade. So I shorted the SP500 and the DAX.

God damn I was right or what. I wonder if this will become a real meltdown once New York opens.

I will have to stop fucking around with the German index however. It is just too big for the funds I am willing to risk on this.

MadImmortalMan

MadImmortalMan

Okay, the metals crash came, and the prices I expected to see (Gold 1600, Silver 35 lol) got passed by quickly. Now gold's back up in the 1650 range but silver didn't make up the difference in that huge-er crash it had. Still at about 32. I'm not comfortable trading either atm, but gun to my head, I'd rather buy silver. Both have a month to go until comex expiration. As with everything else, it all depends on Europe.  <_<

The market couldn't keep the up open going so I'm shorting SPY here.

Edit: Crap. I really need to learn to set my stops wider. The old rules don't apply. I got stopped out on wavy fluctuation and now I'm at my daytrade limit again.

Caliga

I may cash out of my AT&T position as it's up around 10%.  Looking for a good growth stock.  Ideas PLZ.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Phillip Morris - PM

It's all the tobacco business outside the US. (Domestic is Altria.) This is the only stock I own in my trading acct.

Coke - KO

I have January calls on Coca Cola

Kinder-Morgan - KMP

Pipeline operator. They profit on volume moving through the pipes, not on the price of oil or gas. All the new shale plays are making these guys rich. It's a master limited partnership, so I only own it in an IRA. Big dividend machine.

Those are safe dividend growers.

For more spec stuff: If I had a ton of cash laying around, I'd be buying the shale drillers, especially Chesapeake for that find in Ohio along with Continental, Hess and maybe Whiting if I'm feeling lucky. Drillers need to buy drills and stuff, so Schlumberger and Halliburton. I own a big chunk of SLB in my IRA too. I'm looking into the guys planning to build the facilities to export LNG from North America. That's a very interesting future development IMO.

Different people know about different sectors, and you can kinda tell what I spend my time researching. I know jack about drug companies, for example. I like the valuation and yield on LLY though. I like the numbers on Alcoa an awful lot, but they seem to be repeatedly pounded by the market because of commodity prices despite being fundamentally an awesome stock to own. If some QE is announced, the reverse will probably be true.

Stocks I will not buy until something dramatic changes: MSFT, WMT.

To be fair to Ballmer Nation, if you want something predictable to trade: Set consecutive one-triggers-another orders to buy MSFT at 24 and sell at 27 repeatedly. :p

Edit: One more thing. AMZN has a P/E ratio of 101. That's just fucking nuts. Remember what happened to Netflix up in those levels? I'm staying the hell away from that.

DGuller

Wow, that's just idiotic.  Investors seem to forget that while Internet entities may have networking effect and economy of scale on their side, they also have a tendency to be obsoleted almost overnight by an even better idea.  Assuming an unbounded growth given that possibility seems a little over-optimistic.

Caliga

Good call on PM.  I've been eyeing that one for some time.  Brazilians must die of lung cancer so that I may profit. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I rode the Amazon tiger today and made a shitload of money.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive