Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

South Korean Stock Broker Sends Apology Text Messages Then Jumps To His Death Amid Market Turmoil

World financial markets, which have been rocked by fears surrounding the U.S. economy and the ongoing euro zone crisis, pushed a stock broker who felt bad about his clients' losses to take his own life Wednesday.

A South Korean stock broker jumped to his death from a high-rise building after suffering losses amid global financial panic, police said.

From NBC Los Angeles:

"The 48-year-old broker, identified only as "Seo," sent text messages to colleagues expressing regret over severe losses, just minutes before leaping to his death Wednesday in the city of Daegu, according to Chief investigator Lee Kang-ho."

The stock broker sent text messages apologizing to his clients for the massive losses, the report said.

South Korea reportedly has one of the highest suicide rates in the developed world.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/south-korean-stock-broker-sends-apology-text-messages-then-jumps-to-his-death-amid-market-turmoil-2011-8#ixzz1UeQ46tiv

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

http://www.businessinsider.com/there-is-a-guy-threatening-to-jump-off-30-rock-right-now-2011-8

Is it John Paulson?

Edit:
Pic via NBC's @Durrellojello who says: "Our office is mesmerized by this guy on roof of 30 Rock. Police seem to be trying to talk him down."

Gothamist reports he's on the 70th floor observation deck.  As you can see from the pic the FDNY is on the scene and apparently trying to talk him down.

Tamas

So apparently, asian banks are reducing their loan limits for French banks, which are also extremely exposed to shitty European countries, and are now being punished.

Can this possibly be yet another fresh case of some serious shit-skeleton falling out of the closet? The french banking system? Really?
If yes, hello  $3 Ford stocks!

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2011, 08:00:33 AM
So apparently, asian banks are reducing their loan limits for French banks, which are also extremely exposed to shitty European countries, and are now being punished.

Can this possibly be yet another fresh case of some serious shit-skeleton falling out of the closet? The french banking system? Really?

Can't see this happening. The French government would intervene anyway. Societe Generale is not Lehman's. It's like Bank of America.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2011, 08:05:31 AM

Can't see this happening. The French government would intervene anyway. Societe Generale is not Lehman's. It's like Bank of America.

Yes, after Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy, there must be still a lot of free money laying around to bail out them bankers.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2011, 08:06:23 AM

Yes, after Greece, Portugal, Spain and Italy, there must be still a lot of free money laying around to bail out them bankers.

I thought only ECB has been bailing out Spain and Italy. The eurozone governments weren't involved.

At least Poland is not part of the Eurozone - if worst comes to worst, we can always devalue zloty to keep from defaulting.

Martinus

Seems the American stock exchanges caused the European rally again. Warsaw indices are in green for the first time since the beginning of the week it seems, after being -2% for most of the day.  :cool:

alfred russel

If there are more bank bailouts in the US it will be a major shitstorm.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on August 11, 2011, 10:54:21 AM
Has Vegas started placing odds on the DJIA?
That would be a highly stupid undertaking.  There are much more efficient ways to bet on the market moves, so bookies trying to compete would either have to charge too much juice to be competitive, or they would be arbitraged into oblivion.

MadImmortalMan

I wonder if the jumper had a better day today. I know I did.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 11, 2011, 03:48:40 PM
I wonder if the jumper had a better day today. I know I did.

The LSE was up and down more often than a tart's knickers today  :P

I think I've bought some quality shares at knockdown prices this week; but in this market, as 11B4V suggests,  it does resemble Vegas rather than rational investing  :hmm:

Ed Anger

I also dipped back in to the market too with my day trade account. And set up the sell orders so I can grab quickie profits if it goes sown tomorrow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive