Stocks and Trading Thread - Channeling your inner Mono

Started by MadImmortalMan, December 21, 2009, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

The S&P 500 futures are down another 2.5%. We are still quite a bit up on the recent past, so valuations aren't super attractive yet (the valuations could act as a floor). I wonder if we get a piece of really bad news if we don't crash out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tonitrus

Meh, I think I am just gonna let my modest IRA holdings ride the roller coaster. 

Not due to retire for another decade or so anyway.

That, and if there's a real super-panic, I'll probably be among the jack-booted thugs shooting up food riots anyway.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

With impending doom, is there no way I could open an account (to buy some stocks n' stuff online once the storm passes) in the US? Last fuckin' thing I want is to have my money on Hungarian accounts when we crash and burn. The government already nationalized the pension accounts, who knows what will happen to savings?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 09, 2011, 07:11:15 AM
I wake up, and things seem a bit more....stable.

They are waiting for the regular "everything is under control" speech from Bernanke, to rally. Then crash again.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2011, 07:13:32 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 09, 2011, 07:11:15 AM
I wake up, and things seem a bit more....stable.

They are waiting for the regular "everything is under control" speech from Bernanke, to rally. Then crash again.

I bet 6 quatloos it stays positive today. Of course, I'm not putting anything into this market.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Europe is beginning to show some signs this tumble may be deccelerating. London, Paris and several other indices are in the green, and DAX is down "only" by 1.5%. Only Russia seems to continue tumbling down, with a 5% loss today.

Warsaw is minus 3.2. :(

Martinus

Tamas

Relax, everything major happens in the US. European markets are just copycats almost all the time.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2011, 07:26:32 AM
Relax, everything major happens in the US. European markets are just copycats almost all the time.

Actually, no. I don't think the last few days are a result of a rational downturn in the economy. So what matters is not what is really happening, but the perception. Having Europe as a sort of green haven among the world of storms will mean investors will not withdraw money from (say) Poland (I know it makes little sense, but yeah they tend to look at the entire Europe as one), which is good for my job.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2011, 07:38:07 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2011, 07:26:32 AM

Actually, no. I don't think the last few days are a result of a rational downturn in the economy. So what matters is not what is really happening, but the perception. Having Europe as a sort of green haven among the world of storms will mean investors will not withdraw money from (say) Poland (I know it makes little sense, but yeah they tend to look at the entire Europe as one), which is good for my job.

What I am saying is that it is pointless to see things into what is happening today by the hour. The federal bank's prez will speak tonight. The markets will react positively, unless Bernake thinks it is time to let it fall, then markets will resume loitering, until some other predictable bad news make them fall.

I saw this happening a lot of time in recent years. The "fed speech stops the fall" thing is like clockwork. I guess the real fall will begin when this won't be true.

MadImmortalMan

Where did my crash go? I was just making a crapload of crash money and now it's gone. Boo.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

What's the most efficient way to short gold in the long term?  I'm thinking that buying puts in the gold ETF, like GLD, would be that, but are there better ways?

Tamas

You are welcome, Marty.

The only times my predictions are bad are when I actually put real money behind them, which I did not do this time.  :showoff: